5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Should I get a new shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:33 AM
1985stang
3rd Gear Member

Default Should I get a new shifter?

Come to find out, my shifter is stock with just a different handle. I need to know if getting a short throw shifter is harder on the tranny than the stocker. I would like to know because I kinda need it to last for one more year till I go to college, and I don't want to shorten the life of the transmission. I've had a problem with second gear a couple of times where I'll downshift to second, go around a turn, hit a bump while letting out the clutch, and the shifter actually pops out of gear... Any help would be appreciated, and btw I'll most likely be going with MGW.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:40 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Should I get a new shifter?

no it's not harder, but i doubt it will fix your problem

shifter has nothing to do w/ it popping out of gear
Old 03-02-2008, 11:41 AM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

a short throw shifter will not hurt the tranny it will actually help it somewhat because its harder to miss shifts when shifting fast...as for the popping out of gear...thats not the shifters fault..pretty sure thats something internal..if u have to have it last for another year...id just recommend taking it easy n not beating on it too much...but ya the MGW is a great piece..ill be putting mine on when i get my car out if it ever gets warm n quits snowing..
Old 03-02-2008, 11:55 AM
1985stang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

no it's not harder, but i doubt it will fix your problem

shifter has nothing to do w/ it popping out of gear
Yeah, I know it won't fix the problem. I just added that because I don't want a different shifter to make the situation worse. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the slider inside the tranny that keeps it in gear.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:02 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

get the MGW, million times better than stock

as for your problem, if you had an aftermarket shifter, id say it was a poorly adjusted stop, but since you dont, my guess is synchro? i think thats what keeps it in gear,

and if you need it to last, your good, i beat the hell out of my car, and have for the last year, and the only tranny problem is the 2nd gear synchro is going
Old 03-02-2008, 12:03 PM
5.0 85 GT
3rd Gear Member

yea the short throw will be nice for you, just make sure u adjust the stops correctly so you dont over shift it int he internals, also that problem with hitting a bump is your second gear synchro and forks, my 93 f150 is a 5spd and would do that in 3rd, the tranny forks blew about 100 miles later, also my old 85 gt grinded second gear at high r's cause the tranny was ready to detonate and i dont htink the previous owner adjusted the stops too well, i myself will be getting a mgw or another hurst, btu good luck, and remeber..your trannys hurtin
Old 03-02-2008, 12:11 PM
1985stang
3rd Gear Member

Ok, so it'sprobablythe synchro in second gear... and the shift forks? Sucks, because I baby this thing (dang previous owner). How much would it take to get that replaced, or at this point should i get the whole tranny rebuilt (all other gears are still good).
Old 03-02-2008, 12:39 PM
5.0 85 GT
3rd Gear Member

all other gears are still good, again my pick up only 3rd gear was bad, so synchro was replaced, not much later all the forks went, so id just do a full rebuild, but again all your other gears are good just a matter of time before they all pop and you get stuck somewhere with no one around to help, so id get ti fixed before your tranny pops and doesnt go into anygears..
Old 03-02-2008, 12:48 PM
1985stang
3rd Gear Member

How much did it cost you to just replace the 3rd gear synchro? I'm wondering if by the time you have it out and torn apart, it would be more efficient to just rebuild the whole thing. I'm pretty confident i could make the rest of it last though...
Old 03-02-2008, 01:03 PM
5.0 85 GT
3rd Gear Member

it cost me about 450 for the rebuild, that was labor plus forks and the synchros, trust me dude, i was liek its a truck no pwoershiftin was done, so i didnt replace or rebuild anythign else but what needed to be fixed, about 100 miles later or normal driving, pop..done got stranded ont he road, truck would start but would go into any gear, so i went back the guy said i shoulda just rebuilt the whole thing instead of replacing that one part..so yea it would deff be cheaper labor and allt hat when the hwole trannys apart, just do a full rebuild, so i will be one less thing to worry about...

Quick Reply: Should I get a new shifter?