5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

TOOK THE STANG OUT TONIGHT MAJOR PROBLEMS HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 02:26 AM
87GT5.0
1st Gear Member

Default TOOK THE STANG OUT TONIGHT MAJOR PROBLEMS HELP!!!!!

I put the whole front end on today bolted the hood on, put 10 and the tank took off, it ran alright for a while, then the problems started, it started like sputtering and i had to stay the gas to keep it running, whenever i came to a stop light, also i smelled like a strong gas smell, so i stopped at my buddies and house and looked underneath the front and the oil and grease around the oil pan was smoking could that have been causing the smell? The rpms were also surging, going from like around 800 to 1200 when it was just idling in neutral, the car has sat for almost a year and a half and its my first 5.0 so any help is appreciated
Old 04-05-2005, 02:30 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

Default RE: TOOK THE STANG OUT TONIGHT MAJOR PROBLEMS HELP!!!!!

are you sure it was fuel smell? if so its not comingfrom your oil pan if it is your motor is ****ed. if you had to fight it to idle then i wouldnt of tried to keep it running. you may of did some damage. more feedback please for more help
Old 04-05-2005, 02:30 AM
87mustang347
3rd Gear Member

yah that should happen. take the car to your house and keep it turned on for a while. if the car sat for that long, the ecu is goin to be all ****ed up, let it re-learn itself and u should be fine. was it running fine a yr and a half ago?
Old 04-05-2005, 02:46 AM
87GT5.0
1st Gear Member

yea it was running when i bought it, i bought it wrecked in the front and built it back, the guy drove it everyday up until the accident, it use to have a super charger on it, i aint checked the timing on it, and it has plenty of power still i showed off a little tonight and about lost it lol, i just dont know why its idling rough and the gas smell
Old 04-05-2005, 02:50 AM
87GT5.0
1st Gear Member

also its not running hot, and no check engine light came on, so im completely lost
Old 04-05-2005, 03:06 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

you said its been sitting? its running rought at idle and lots of fuel smell??????check the O2s. they shoudl be replaced like every 50 to 80k miles. chances are they may be causing your problems. making car run richer then ti needs to be
Old 04-05-2005, 10:02 AM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 87GT5.0

also its not running hot, and no check engine light came on, so im completely lost
FYI 87's don't have a working check engine light.So if there is a problem no light will ever come on.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:29 AM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

change the fuel filter
Old 04-05-2005, 11:48 AM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

mine had sat 4.5 years until i drove it.. ran perfect when i did, just needed basic tune up, plugs, wires, cap, a belt, etc.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

The firs thing that should be done to a car that has just been purchased is a "new owner tune up".

No matter the condition the simple things like oil, oil filter, fuel filter, o2 sensors, air filter, spark plugs, and wires should be replaced. This way you know that nothing will go too far because you don't know the last time they have been replaced...unless the owner was a organized person leaving you will piles of work orders. Even then you still dont know.

You did say there was a supercharger on it? Well in order for more power to come from a charger you need more fuel with the added air. This way the power will come. You raise power by adding more air intake but at a certain point you need more fuel as well.

Also the timing needs to be changed too for a charger...this will maximize performance.

The car running bad could be cause by bad timing. If you ever have heard those cars that sound like lawn mowers...that is usually bad timing. Been there done that.

So check all the tune up components and replace if you haven't already and also set the timing back to factory settings. Have someone that knows the smell of different liquids in cars identify if it was fuel you smelt. Every liquid has its own smell but unless you have smelt them all you sometimes cant tell...unless you have been told by another.

The oil on the pan could just be sediments from time. Just make sure that whatever was there that was burned off is not fresh. Meaning if more is there than before it burned then you have a leak.

Check to see what is coming out of your tailpipe. If there is smoke what color is it?

White-bluish is oil being burned. Charcole is too much fuel. Pure white that is semi transparent is coolant. Don't know tranny smoke color because I have never seen that burned.

Hope this helps. Also give more feedback. We can only feedback on what you have told.

Quick Reply: TOOK THE STANG OUT TONIGHT MAJOR PROBLEMS HELP!!!!!