5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

car shakes alot

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 04:52 PM
kaaos

Default car shakes alot

Hi im Dan and i own an 88 Gt i purchased last year First things first this car has been in a front end collision but was fixed and is barely noticeable only if you look under the hood and look at the sides a foot in front of the strut towers there are welds on each side. I was wondering if i should take it to a frame shop. I recently had a 4 tire balance and alignment and caster adj. Didnt help too much anything over 65 and it just begins to shake the whole car and vibrate. It has 2 different tires in front same size not sure if the speed rating is correct for my car the passenger door panel says it calls for vr something it has 205 in the front not sure if that has anything to do with it the frame on bottom didnt seem to get touched alot of the original parts were used like fog light bracket and stuff in the front has been reused. Any input would help also my engine mounts are a little cracked and tranny mount also the harmonic balancer doesnt seem to balanced as it moves about a cm at idle and i was unable to adjust my rear end when i got it aligned because its something that they follow as per manufacturer req or some bs like that. they say my front suspension is good. but is there any similair problems anyone has had like this? Thanks in advance hope i can get this fixed.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:15 PM
fats429
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: car shakes alot

I would rule out the frame . if ti was not a quailty job it would not pass inspection . A front end clip is a common job and when done by a quailty shop is as good as new . most hacks wont eaven touch a job of that size and peircison . If you just had it to a tire shop and had a aliment if it was a ****tey job it would not come close to alineing . so you are safe thare

the mounts should most deff be addresed as soon as you can

the ballancer is not suspost to move at all and could lead to big internal prolbems fast

but I think it is bad tires . it olny starts at 65 MPH I bet if you pust it you could find what speed the vibiraton stops at . my stang had the same prolbems you are talking about and new rubbers took care of it . after a 75 MPH blow out no the sukukill expressway in rush hour trafic . I know you had them ballanced and alined but the rubber could still be bad did they sit for a long peorid of time
Old 04-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

Couldn't really tell you...could be a number of things.

First make sure there are no bubbles on your tires. Brand new tires can easily have bubbles. I have had 3 so far and they make your car vibrate...excessive at certain speeds.

Also try and see if your axles are bent. Lift the car and secure it. Now slowly rotate the tires and see if you can see wobble. If not then try increasing the speed by driving the car on the stands. Get up to what you would think would be 65 mph and see if the tires wobble. MAKE SURE THE CAR IS SECURE.

If you see wobble then the axle is bent.

If neither of these work then it could be somewhere else but I don't know from this point on.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:19 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Mine shook like that too at about 65-70 mph, but I thought that it was a balancing problem, soo I rotated the tires and for the most part it stopped. I also need to get an alignment done. Did you have the front end professionally done? I'd call them and ask them what to do. Or just any auto shop and see what they say.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:20 PM
fats429
2nd Gear Member

chances are in first gear on jack stands your car will shoot right up to 65 MPH quickly

this is how people get killed dont do that
Old 04-05-2005, 06:42 PM
91stang
4th Gear Member

one thing that i heard... i'm not sure if this is a good idea or bad never really put much tho't about it. but they said that the drive tran in a mustang is slanted down, the higher end is on the engine side and if you get it raised a couple inches that will help you increase your top speed

again... jsut seeing if this is true
Old 04-05-2005, 08:06 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

this is not correct. there is a correct angle for the driveshaft in every car that keeps the U joints properly aligned so they don't wear out prematurely. it is called the pinion angle and is measured at the back of the trans and at the nose of the rear end.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:20 AM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

this is how people get killed dont do that
That is why I emphasized securing it. A few jack stands wont do. Some chains...tie downs, many jacks....

But you are right. One wrong thing and that's it.

I've done it...it works...but you have to know what you are doing and exactly how to do it.