5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Shifter Vibrates very bad at over 75 mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:29 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Default Shifter Vibrates very bad at over 75 mph

I just want to find out what could cause my shifter to vibrate like crazy, the faster you go, the more it vibrates. Has anyone had this happen to them and what was the fix. It' s a Hurst short shifter btw.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:39 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Shifter Vibrates very bad at over 75 mph

yup mine everyday

i think mine is either the DS, or something in my tranny like posibly flywheel or pressure plate (both are only 2 years old though so i'm thinking DS)

i am replacing most all of it so i have not bothered looking

and in MI the speed limit only gets up to 70 so i don't know what it's like to go faster
Old 03-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Make sure the weights are still on your DS. Its possible they may have rusted to the point of falling off.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:01 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Grab your driveshaft at the diff and see if you can push it back and forth (in and out). I see you have 373's, how long ago was the install. I used to have the same problem. I replaced my rack because it was leaking and my inner's were wore out and right before that i installed my gears and did not set the pinion right. Ifixed them both at the same time so i cant say which corrected the problem.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:05 PM
95BOSS302
1st Gear Member

mine did the same thing but i found out the the u-joint on the driveshaft was bad and i was getting an frpp aluminum driveshaft anyway and when i replaced it, i noticed that the vibration started to decrease but didn't go away so i also found out the transmount was bad and when i replaced that, my troubles were over
Old 03-06-2008, 07:22 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

Grab your driveshaft at the diff and see if you can push it back and forth (in and out). I see you have 373's, how long ago was the install. I used to have the same problem. I replaced my rack because it was leaking and my inner's were wore out and right before that i installed my gears and did not set the pinion right. Ifixed them both at the same time so i cant say which corrected the problem.
Gears have been in the car since I got it. The vibration just started and seems to be getting worse. I will check the DS and the trans mount as well as what everyone has mentioned.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:33 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

hmmmm...my trans mount is a energy suspension...but my crossmember is in need of replacement.

now i wonder.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:33 PM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

could it be the stop bolts in the short shifter (idk about the hurst but my pro5.0 did it untill i put some blck silicon on them, also stoped them from getting loose
Old 03-06-2008, 07:37 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ponyboy88

could it be the stop bolts in the short shifter (idk about the hurst but my pro5.0 did it untill i put some blck silicon on them, also stoped them from getting loose
That is a thought, the hurst does have the stop bolts as well, I will look into that. Thanks
Old 03-06-2008, 07:46 PM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tmajikman

ORIGINAL: ponyboy88

That is a thought, the hurst does have the stop bolts as well, I will look into that. Thanks
easy way to check is pull the boot and peice of plastic that sits above the shifter and drive like that, have someone (id suggest not you if ur doing more then 80) puth there fingers against the stop bolts, if its the bolts there hands will absorb the vibration and the noise will cease.

Quick Reply: Shifter Vibrates very bad at over 75 mph