5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

EFI OR CARBURATED

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 02:44 AM
blowninjected
1st Gear Member

Default EFI OR CARBURATED

Alright here is my question....Being "old skool" all my previous race cars have been carburated. I have had nothing but problems with this newer technology with mass air flow sensors,02 sensors,injectors...It seems nothing wants to work toghether, if one thing works the other does'nt or is too small, or is too big...Im thinking about building a new stroked 302 and eliminating the computer,efi, and all that junk and just going carburated.What do you guys think?...Anybody done this?...What are the pro's and con's? Any help is greatly appreciated
BTW...its a '92 mustang GT 5spd.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:55 AM
blowninjected
1st Gear Member

Default RE: EFI OR CARBURATED

TTT
Old 04-08-2005, 03:02 PM
Dan89lx
3rd Gear Member

my friend has a carbed coupe with about the same mods as I have and his car has better driveability and is way more consistent than mine. I finally know whats wrong with mine so hopefully I will get it fixed soon. If I cant get mine right soon, I am going to carburete it. I will say this though- when the fuel injection is working like it should you cant beat it, its just hard to get it that way sometimes
Old 04-08-2005, 03:40 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

what was the answer to your problem Danlx
Old 04-08-2005, 03:44 PM
90LX50
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan89lx

my friend has a carbed coupe with about the same mods as I have and his car has better driveability and is way more consistent than mine. I finally know whats wrong with mine so hopefully I will get it fixed soon. If I cant get mine right soon, I am going to carburete it. I will say this though- when the fuel injection is working like it should you cant beat it, its just hard to get it that way sometimes
Yes, i'd like to know what the fix is as well since i plan to mod mine about how you have yours done.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:09 PM
birdman076
2nd Gear Member

As I have said before and caught crap for it, if you plan to do many mods then the first one should be an aftermarket programmer or ECM of some sort. The factory ECM was calibrated for a 302ci v8 pushing 225hp and 300lbs of torque, it does have some adaptive ability. But the bottom line here is once you start improving airflow, fuel delivery, and performance its not going to be long before you outgrow the adaptive ability of the stock ECM. This is my problem and I would say its alot of peoples problems on here as well, the point of where or how much is too much and the need of an aftermarket ECM has never been addressed or verified that I know of. I think that information would be invaluable to everyone. I have asked the question on many forums and no one can give me a definitive answer as to how many mods before you NEED an aftermarket ECM or chip for that matter.

I would love to see a tech article with them doing 1 mod at a time until it starts to give problems like we all have seen and then put an aftermarket ECM or programmer on and mod from there. Preferably a programmer that can be unplugged or bypassed so we can see the effect of said mod that caused the problem and that the programmer fixed the issue. Everyone has opinions, I want facts lol. Seems to me that everytime someone bolts on some descent flowing heads the driveability issues rear thier ugly head. I plan on getting an Anderson PMS system but I am far from that still with having to move and all. When I do get it I will do some extensive testing for my own piece of mind and to share, but as I said I'm a ways off still.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:35 PM
Predator
2nd Gear Member

I'd imagine after around 35-45hp gains the ECU would start to lose efficiency, but that's just a guess. Good point though biiiiiiiiiiiiiird maaaaaaan!! Had to do it
Old 04-08-2005, 11:22 PM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

i love carburetors. converting to carb is really easy too, so i say go for it.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:32 PM
birdman076
2nd Gear Member

LOL I know someone had too, I would say that is what I am thinking as well. But again there is no evidence as to what course of getting 35-40 hp will set the ECM on its rampage. I mean if I do headers, TB, MAF, and a small puter friendly cam I don't think it would be enough. See where I'm going with this? There is a plateu and once you have hit it, its all down hill without a aftermarket ECM or programmer.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:11 AM
90LX50
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: birdman076

LOL I know someone had too, I would say that is what I am thinking as well. But again there is no evidence as to what course of getting 35-40 hp will set the ECM on its rampage. I mean if I do headers, TB, MAF, and a small puter friendly cam I don't think it would be enough. See where I'm going with this? There is a plateu and once you have hit it, its all down hill without a aftermarket ECM or programmer.
So, what would you suggest? the reason i ask, i'm sure you're aware that i'm going to be putting the b-cam,Edelbrock heads with 1.7's on my stang this summer.

Do you have any ECU's in mind? can I get one setup for my mods?

Give me something to go on so i'll kow what my next wad of cash needs to go towards.

Quick Reply: EFI OR CARBURATED