5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

finally found out why my car handles like crap

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:30 AM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: finally found out why my car handles like crap

Listen up!

Anyone with aproperly operating stock Traction Loc rear diff on a Mustang will see both wheels turn in the same direction when in the air. The way to tell if it's welded is take the wheels off, put a pry bar between two of the lug studs on one side and have a buddy do the same on the other side and try to turn the wheels in the opposite direction. It should take some force to do this to overcome the clutch pack but will tell you if it's been welded or not.

My guess is that it's NOT welded... you would know if it was... going around turns would be hell.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:57 AM
ACE
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: capri debris

Listen up!

Anyone with aproperly operating stock Traction Loc rear diff on a Mustang will see both wheels turn in the same direction when in the air. The way to tell if it's welded is take the wheels off, put a pry bar between two of the lug studs on one side and have a buddy do the same on the other side and try to turn the wheels in the opposite direction. It should take some force to do this to overcome the clutch pack but will tell you if it's been welded or not.

My guess is that it's NOT welded... you would know if it was... going around turns would be hell.
Agreed! If your rear was welded, you would have had the car wrecked by now. The Track lock will spin both wheels same way when off the ground.

NOW If you have a GT and they spin different you also MIGHT have worn out clutch disc which makes it act like a Open diff!!
Old 03-17-2008, 09:28 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

I know he say's it is stock. It is possible someone changed the rear to a spool, cheaper than the trac locks, or it could be welded as mentioned here. As far as breaking stuff, that's not true. I run a moser spool and havnt' broke anything, but i would not go that route with a dd. Your going to have to pop the pumpkin and see what you have.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:36 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

this is retarded. trac lock spins both wheels the same direction when up in the air. a no posi unit spins opposite end of story. assuming that its welded based appon this is crazy!! obviously this is ur first mustang they all handle like shyt if drive like a ricer... its a rearwheel drive car with 200plus hp.learn to drive
Old 03-17-2008, 12:28 PM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

um like ive already stated 86GT 93LX im 16 this is my first car period no I have never even driven another mustang (let alone some ricer) other than mine so I have no experience of what it should be like so if your gonna be a dick then bother someone else, I had also stated that this being my FIRST CAR would obviously be my first mustang genious. I'm trying to make sure my cars safe to drive with where I live every corner is either a cliff or mountain side so lighten up.

everyone else thanks for your help
Old 03-17-2008, 12:48 PM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

I'll post a pic of the h pipe a little later
Old 03-17-2008, 02:39 PM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

they dont handle well under any conditions, too light in the back and heavy in the front. my first car was a stang i wrecked it. hopefully u dont...anyways my opologies had no clue u had never driven anything else.the h pipe can be taken care of at a exaust place just have a hanger put on from the spot its supposed to be on the crossmember thats the thing under the tranny, and while there se about the hole being fix good luck. stick around most of the people are nice most of the time. but some people post really silly stuff and people say dickish stuff, hey they do it to me too sometimes
Old 03-17-2008, 02:52 PM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

its cool man, I just get shunned a lot for saying stupid things i guess but I dont know or I wouldnt ask. and I already have taken my car off an embankemnt because of gravel but it didnt mess up my car at all luckily.

I'm having problems posting the pics of the h pipe can anyone help? thanks in advance
Old 03-17-2008, 02:58 PM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...pkspics071.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...pkspics071.jpg

I dont know if this will work or not but these should be links to the pictures

my h pipe has no brand on it so there might be a possibility of it being something the guy made that I baught the car from
Old 03-17-2008, 03:02 PM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

I know my car by no means is ment to be a good handeling car buy seriously my frinds lifted trucks handle way better than my car. My front end pushes and the rear starts to walk at really low speeds even when I'm in neutral, maybe something else the retard I got my car from messed up.

Quick Reply: finally found out why my car handles like crap