5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

tps voltage question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 10:48 AM
cholericfc
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: tps voltage question

how do u get a reading... i tried the other day.... I guess i stick a needle into the wire itself... and then touch the mulitmeter's neg. and pos. to the correct wires' needle....... u know what i mean?
Old 03-19-2008, 11:02 AM
sultan68
2nd Gear Member

yea.. i did that with positive with the needlebut touched negative to the negative battery terminal
Old 03-19-2008, 01:25 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

1. Turn the key on

2. Put the + multimeter to the Green Wire on the TPS......

3. Then put the - multimeter to the Black Wire on the TPS......(Some say not to use a normal ground, but use the ground for the TPS)

4. Take the reading........
Old 03-19-2008, 02:01 PM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

I have tried to bring this up in a subtle manner before, but no one ever seems to pay any attention.

So,
Now I am going to be a little more up front about it... we'll see if some discussion can come from this...

ORIGINAL: aode08

.99 set it, key on, engine off, beware as you tighten it down, voltage will increase.

so set to like .95 then as you finally tighten down, it should be dead on .99
Ignorance...
The tps does not need to be adjusted to be .99v
As long as the tps setting is within the ecu's acceptable limits, the idle voltage does not matter.

at 1.18, the ecm thinks your accelerator cable is at a certain point and will do wierd things like that, jerk or shimmy.
Please explain how the ecu uses the tps signal so that the tps can cause a 'jerk or shimmy'

Quick answer... it can't...

ORIGINAL: CantStopTheFox...

Mine is at .99, and it still idles like sh*t[:@]
BINGO!!!!!! We have a winner!!
The car still idles poorly, because idle quality isn't affected by the tps idle setting... (as long as the idle voltage is within the acceptable range)

ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

you should do your tps...then check iac and adjust idle...then redo the tps then reset the computer

anywhere from .950-.990 is fine really...it's the rare .750 stockers you wanna change
Again, can you elaborate on how the ecu REQUIRES the tps base idle output to be between .95v and .99v????????

Again,
I have tried to bring this up before in a polite way, but no one seemed to acknowledge what I was saying...

By all means... let's discuss this....

While I am on the rant... I think the sticky on 'setting the tps' here should be sent to trash bin...

jason
Old 03-19-2008, 02:03 PM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

Justification for why I don't like the 'tps sticky' here...
https://mustangforums.com/m_4613249/tm.htm
Old 03-20-2008, 02:41 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Dudeboy, I understand where your coming from 100% and I know who exactly who you are, I noted the same book back in 2005 when I joined here.

This is a miscommunication between acceptable range for the CEL LIGHT AND OPTIMAL OVERALL PREFFERED SETTING FOR BETTER PERFORMANCE.

I also understand that is the range of the ACCEPTABLE TPS curve.

The .99 setting has been found to perform best as the PREFFERED TPS setting.

What is an acceptable range to keep you CEL OFF and a preffered setting are two different things.

But what we all are failing to look at here is throttle ANGLE INPUT, YOU WANT 10* ANGLE at idle = .97-.99 volts min, for optimal performance.

If you have a fox body, go out and experiment a 1.10 v setting, or a low like.90.

Then DRIVE a week , do some WOT's, then slow down fast with the brake. Prepare yourself for a random situations, anything from jeking, to lower performance, running rich or lean etc.

Ford service manuals were meant to allow acceptable driveability and not pioneered, for what IS BEST, but rather what is ACCEPTABLE TO THEM, and it keep warranty and TSB's down.
They could care less about a optimal setting and prefer to use a range, to keep them safe legally.

To make this simple, we are not saying that .99 is a FORD REQUIRED TPS SETTING, but is the best number to be at for overall idle stability and performance characteristics, from the throttle angle, it produces at that voltage to the ECM.

This number is within THE ACCEPTABLE LIMITS, and generates a overall AND PROVEN OWNER Preffered Throttle Angle Measurement to the ECM.

We are not giving you .99 as just to give it, we want you to NOT ONLY BE WITHIN A ACCEPTABE RANGE TO KEEP THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT OFF, but also increase overall performance and improve your idle, with that curve.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Dudeboy, I understand where your coming from 100% and I know who exactly who you are, I noted the same book back in 2005 when I joined here.

This is a miscommunication between acceptable range for the CEL LIGHT AND OPTIMAL OVERALL PREFFERED SETTING.

I also understand that is the range of the ACCEPTABLE TPS curve.

The .99 setting has been found to perform best as the PREFFERED TPS setting.

What is an acceptable range to keep you CEL OFF and a preffered setting are two different things.

But what we all are failing to look at here is throttle ANGLE INPUT, YOU WANT 10* ANGLE at idle = .97-.99 volts min, for optimal performance.

If you have a fox body, go out and experiment a 1.10 v setting, or a low like.90.

Then DRIVE a week , do some WOT's, then slow down fast with the brake. Prepare yourself for a random situations, anything from jeking, to lower performance, running rich or lean etc.

Ford service manuals were meant to allow acceptable driveability and not pioneered, for what IS BEST, but rather what is ACCEPTABLE TO THEM, and it keep warranty and TSB's down.
They could care less about a optimal setting and prefer to use a range, to keep them safe legally.

To make this simple, we are not saying that .99 is a FORD REQUIRED TPS SETTING, but is the best number to be at for overall idle stability and performance characteristics, from the throttle angle, it produces at that voltage to the ECM.

This number is within THE ACCEPTABLE LIMITS, and generates a overall AND PROVEN OWNER Preffered Throttle Angle Measurement to the ECM.

We are not giving you .99 as just to give it, we want you to NOT ONLY BE WITHIN A ACCEPTABE RANGE TO KEEP THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT OFF, but also increase overall performance and improve your idle, with that curve.
aode08,

It IS NOT a miscommunication between acceptable range for the CEL LIGHT AND OPTIMAL OVERALL PREFFERED SETTING. ..... the above explanation/statement was written w/out the knowledge of the TPS ratcheting algorithm...... that IS NOT the way the EEC-IV logic works.... here is an excerpt of the TPS logic, and why it is a RICER MYTH.

[align=center]Summarized EEC-IV logic for the TPS......[/align]
The EEC-IV will check for the following:

- Minimum voltage at closed throttle over .49 vdc. , less than .49 and codes 23 and 63 will set as failures.
- Max voltage closed throttle should not exceeed 1.2 vdc, or codes 23 & 53 will set as failures.

- TPS voltage between .5vdc and 1.19 = no codes, TPS ...then

- Closed throttle TPS value is reset by the system to the lowest value read when ignition is turned on every time. Or as explained by the EEC-IV RATCH algorithm:
Quote[/align]The variable RATCH is the output of a ratchet algorithm which continuously seeks the minimum throttle angle corresponding to a CLOSED THROTTLE position. This alleviates the necessity to set the throttle position sensor at an absolute position and compensates for system changes and differences between vehicles. The ratchet algorithm uses filtered throttle position for the determination of RATCH.[/align]- A voltage increase of .04 vdc from the minimum registered will id part throttle status.
- Minimum WOT value of 3.21 vdc (.5 + 2.71) and not higher than actual Voltage REFerence (VREF) generated by the ECM to access WOT strategy.

....This does not include the other registers and functions, the system uses to id acceleration, deceleration, cruise...etc, like:

APT = At Part Throttle flag
Quote[/align]The value of APT is determined by a logic. Briefly, throttle angle breakpoints, in terms of counts, are used to define the CLOSED/PART_THROTTLE and PART/WIDE_OPEN_THROTTLE transitions.[/align]- OLDTP = Previous TP sensor value, counts.
- TAR = Throttle Angle Rate of change, deg/sec.
- TP = Throttle position sensor.
- FN331B = A multiplier as a function of the present throttle angle minus the lowest measured throttle angle (TP - RATCH)
- Etc, etc, etc

Adjusting the TPS is a myth....or more proof is needed?[/align]

Old 03-20-2008, 03:46 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Ive read that and know thats the way it should work .

I would agree by that if it worked physically.
Myself and pleny of others have tried other voltage settings within the allowed range, with variable results.

Several different mustangs and ECM types as well.

Now is your EEC-IV logic for the A9L, P or?, but removing the .99 from the stickies on every mustang forum and magazine will not occur.

I would agree if that logic proved to work in other voltages and real life for optimal performance.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Ive read that and know thats the way it should work .

I would agree by that if it worked physically.
Myself and pleny of others have tried other voltage settings within the allowed range, with variable results.

Several different mustangs and ECM types as well.

Now is your EEC-IV logic for the A9L, P or?, but removing the .99 from the stickies on every mustang forum and magazine will not occur.

I would agree if that logic proved to work in other voltages and real life for optimal performance.
The EEC-IV logic is the GUFB (Fox) and CBAZA (SN95) FYI.... I've purposely "set" TPS from .65 vdc to 1.12 vdc...... with no gripes, complains, ET changes at the track, driveability issues or comebacks....... w/out the customers knowing about the change.

And you're right..... it won't occur, and the reason is that misinformation is not only rampant, but justified.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:29 PM
cholericfc
3rd Gear Member

THIS IS THE MOST ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS POST I HAVE SEEN SINCE I JOINED......

POST GONE BAD......

DO YOU GUYS REALIZE THAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT ****IN TPS VOLTAGE....

JUST SET IT AT THE DAMN FACTORY SETTING AND BE DONE WITH IT.....

nothing can be gained..... except a car that runs or doesn't

Quick Reply: tps voltage question