5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Radio Harness problems....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 01:47 PM
SilverHorse

Default Radio Harness problems....

Ok... I hate trying to fix problems from a previous lazy owner....

I bought a 91 GT yesterday, and went to take the tape deck (nice in the 80's???) out, and alas! whoever installed the tape deck decided to cut the stock harness out, and hard wire it in. Probably why only 3 of the 6 speakers work[sm=bangbang.gif]

Anyone have a wiring diagram available? Or do you guys know if it is in the Haynes manual? I am assuming the Haynes is different from 89 to 91 as well....

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2005, 03:18 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Radio Harness problems....

go to www.autozone.com and go to repair information. somewhere they wll ask you to enter the make, model and year of your car, so do this. then under the repair section, to the electrical and under there look for the wiring diagrams line. click on this and then select the correct year and model for your car and then you can pull up the wiring diagrams you need.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:30 PM
SilverHorse

thanks bud...

but, they didnt have the radio harness diagram there...

anyone else?

I am not going to enjoy re-rigging a new radio.....
Old 04-12-2005, 03:35 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

Just grab a voltmeter and start testing

I just recently rewired my stang too for the harness. But I cant remember all of the wires.

Here are your wires that you should be concerned with and what you should read with your voltmeter:

Batt wire: constant 12v if car is off or on or start position.
Ign wire: constant 12v if car is on only
ground: Black/green wire

Use a D-batt to pop the speakers. Touch the + part of the batt to one wire and the - to another wire. If you hear a pop find out what speaker it is. Those are your speaker wires for that speaker. To make sure it is in phase...the speaker will pop out if the positive wire is on the + of the batt and the neg wire is on the - of the batt. If it pops in then it is backwards. Don't do this too long... you can easily blow speakers doing this.

Illumination: should see voltage when lights are on and stay constant throughout dimmer switch movement

Dimmer: should see voltage when lights are on but change with dimmer switch.

Where are you at? It would only take me 20 mins to wire you up a new radio and have it running properly.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:06 PM
SilverHorse

thanks for the good to know info!

LOL, well, I used to live in OKC, OK, and it took me 9 hours to drive to Colorado Springs, which is where I am at now....

I'll have a fridge full of beer waiting for ya, if you come up!

I should have this wired by the weekend...
Old 04-12-2005, 04:13 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SilverHorse

thanks for the good to know info!

LOL, well, I used to live in OKC, OK, and it took me 9 hours to drive to Colorado Springs, which is where I am at now....

I'll have a fridge full of beer waiting for ya, if you come up!

I should have this wired by the weekend...
Have family in Colorado Springs. But Im in south Texas...would have loved the beer though LOL.

Good luck.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:25 PM
SilverHorse

Well, it took me only 3 hours, but come to find out, the tape deck was hard wired into the alarm system... maybe they were sharing ground and the 12V supply... either way, what a bunch of crap... also found 2 amps on the rear decks of the back seats... previous owner didnt even know they were there i dont think....

took about 2 miles of chitty wiring out, cut the stock harness down to something workable, and found my speaker connections... radio installed looks almost professional again!