5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

400 horses is what i want

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:49 AM
slapstick

Default 400 horses is what i want

Hey guys and gals, i have just bought me a 92 lx 5.0 car. I would like to get 400-450 horses out of it. The reason for such and odd number is because i dont want to effect the gas millage to bad. I know it can be done because my buddy has a mustang just like mine that is pushin about 430 and he gets great gas millage. When i say great its about 22-25 miles to a gallon. If anyone knows a way to push that many horses and get better please let me know. Now the reason i am posting this question is because i have a problem. You see, i am a body man not a mechanic. Now to many this car doesnt look the best, but i can fix the looks. Im just not much in the power department. So now you know my problem. From what i have been told, and from the way the car sounds, it has a "dionasaur" cam. What ever that means, he said it was big. Other then that and the new clutch that was just put in, which was a stage 2 racing clutch, the car has not had any other mods done to it. Now i can talk to one person all day about what i can do to get 400 horses out of my new pony but there are many opions out there and i would like to know more then one. Surley there are some people out here that have been working on these things for years, and to those i say please comment, your words will be used, trust me. I know that the suspension on the pany cars are horriable and that it will need to be stiffened up. But im not sure how to do that. I know that adding a turbo to car will boost my horse power incrediabley. But do i need something to go along with the turbo so that it doesnt over work the motor or over work the turbo for that matter. Plugs and plug wires, heads, add a gear (ive been told 4:11), port and polish, clutch, exhaust and many other things have i heard. Just.....one.....little.....problem, I hear all of it but i just dont know what it means. I mean like exaust or plugs and plug wires, i think i can handle the little things, but still, which one is gonna be the best for horse power. I know that exaust is more of a what ever your taste is but still, is there one better then the other. So i think you guys get the picture of what im looking for. I want an everyday driver with 400+ horses. It makes me sick to see a car such as our little pony cars get beat on the street by some crappy tuner or wimpy want to be muscle car. So anyway, and everyday driver thats as good as possiable on gas, looks and sounds great, and can still come out of the hole and beat about any thing and still give something a good run for its money even if it cant win. Oh yeah, one more kink, i would like to do this for as cheap as possiable, but then again who doesnt. Well ladies and gentelman theres my question, do with it what you will. Thank you for comments before hand, all are appreciated.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:00 AM
sultan68
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 400 horses is what i want

heads cam and an intake(hci).. i dunno much about what heads go with what intake blah blah blah, but try searchin around the forums this type of stuff is talked about a lot
Old 03-30-2008, 08:31 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

mild h/c/i, supercharge/turbo it and dyno tune a must!!
Old 03-30-2008, 08:43 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Gonna need a power adder of some sort to hit those #'s unless you planning a a big bad built motor!!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:41 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

n/a to get 400-450rwhp is going require $15K (400bhp wont be as bad, but still about $8k)
ok, gears, they give you accleration, amd make higher rpm power band cars perform better.
turbo works off of load, more load, quicker boost.
3.27 gears for turbo, thats stock gears
a set of heads and an intake and a turbo, 8-10psi, A TUNE, and thats enough to get the 400-450rwhp, well 2 fuel pumps, injectors, & maf.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:47 AM
QatarStang
4th Gear Member

turbo
Old 03-30-2008, 10:44 AM
apedosmil
1st Gear Member

Your gonna need to start with a new HCI (Heads cam and Intake) swap first to get you to around 280rwhp then I say supercharge it if you choose between a blower of a turbo, I love turbos but I feel that the v8 5.0 is such a big engine the turbo loses alot of boost. Another suggestion is boring it to a 331 and then put a farely big sized shot of nitrous, if your looking for a daily driver and then a 400-450hp car on the weekends to haul *** at the track or even just pulling up next to someone and ripping some rice a bore and then shot is perfect. Probably alot cheaper too.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:08 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

The horsepower numbers you are looking for, sound a little out of reach. It can be done, but the only way I see of doing it is like the others said, some type of power adder like NOS or a turbo. Either way, you will need the head/cam/intake upgrades to start. Gears should probably be one of your first mods. As far as a "Dinosaur Cam", I'm not sure what that is?. You need to bolt on compatable parts so that they complement each other. Over-camming a motor is a classic mistake made by beginners. If you don't have the other componets to complement the cam, your car could end up slower that it was stock. Your buddy's claim of 430hp and 22-25 mpg sounds like a stretch?. Is he including a power adder in his hp numbers?
Old 03-30-2008, 05:57 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slapstick

[align=left] Hey guys and gals, i have just bought me a 92 lx 5.0 car. I would like to get 400-450 horses out of it. The reason for such and odd number is because i dont want to effect the gas millage to bad. I know it can be done because my buddy has a mustang just like mine that is pushin about 430 and he gets great gas millage. When i say great its about 22-25 miles to a gallon. If anyone knows a way to push that many horses and get better please let me know. Now the reason i am posting this question is because i have a problem. You see, i am a body man not a mechanic. Now to many this car doesnt look the best, but i can fix the looks. Im just not much in the power department. So now you know my problem. From what i have been told, and from the way the car sounds, it has a "dionasaur" cam. What ever that means, he said it was big. Other then that and the new clutch that was just put in, which was a stage 2 racing clutch, the car has not had any other mods done to it. Now i can talk to one person all day about what i can do to get 400 horses out of my new pony but there are many opions out there and i would like to know more then one. Surley there are some people out here that have been working on these things for years, and to those i say please comment, your words will be used, trust me. I know that the suspension on the pany cars are horriable and that it will need to be stiffened up. But im not sure how to do that. I know that adding a turbo to car will boost my horse power incrediabley. But do i need something to go along with the turbo so that it doesnt over work the motor or over work the turbo for that matter. Plugs and plug wires, heads, add a gear (ive been told 4:11), port and polish, clutch, exhaust and many other things have i heard. Just.....one.....little.....problem, I hear all of it but i just dont know what it means. I mean like exaust or plugs and plug wires, i think i can handle the little things, but still, which one is gonna be the best for horse power. I know that exaust is more of a what ever your taste is but still, is there one better then the other. So i think you guys get the picture of what im looking for. I want an everyday driver with 400+ horses. It makes me sick to see a car such as our little pony cars get beat on the street by some crappy tuner or wimpy want to be muscle car. So anyway, and everyday driver thats as good as possiable on gas, looks and sounds great, and can still come out of the hole and beat about any thing and still give something a good run for its money even if it cant win. Oh yeah, one more kink, i would like to do this for as cheap as possiable, but then again who doesnt. Well ladies and gentelman theres my question, do with it what you will. Thank you for comments before hand, all are appreciated.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align]
i would like to see that. must be a grandma driving it. i get 12-14 mpgand i don't have the heaviest foot either and my caris almost stock. i can't even imagine getting over 20 mpg with over 400 horses. my buddy has a 87 and he jumps on it maybe once a day in his normal commute and he gets around 17 mpg
Old 03-30-2008, 06:23 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

My 302 is prolly up around 385hp at the crank, and I get about 20-22 on the highway with a carburetor and no overdrive. The reason so many people have built 302's that get such crappy mileage is cuz they overbuild. The heads or the intake or something is too big, and efficiency drops off and mileage along with it. That's why I went with AFR 165's and not 185's, a 570cfm carb instead of a 670 etc. Yeah, it might be costing me some peak hp, but average top end power ain't all that different, and mileage is better. Most of my driving is under 3,000rpm anyway, so why build an engine to sacrifice power there just to get an extra 15-20 peak hp?

Look at the Formula 1 teams, they design their heads to have the smallest ports possible. They get them to flow just as much as they need with as small a port as they can so that their velocity stays as high as possible. Currently they're running induction charge speeds in the intake port at the head of close to 800mph(yes, the induction charge exceeds the speed of sound as it approaches the valves). They're approaching 140% volumetric efficiency and making over 5hp per cubic inch naturally aspirated.

Everyone spends too much time reading cylinder head flow charts, and not nearly enough time looking at port velocities. All the cylinder head flow in the world is completely worthless without velocity, if there's no airflow velocity then there's no airflow into the cylinder, and it's not filling. Induction velocity has a HUGE impact on mileage and power.

Quick Reply: 400 horses is what i want