5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Explorer engine??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 03:05 AM
87GT5.0
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Explorer engine??

whats better gt40p or just gt40 heads, now you all got me interested in this explorer motor lol i really want to do this, it sounds like a decently cheap way to have a kick *** motor[sm=gears.gif]
Old 04-14-2005, 08:33 AM
91LXstanger
3rd Gear Member

so i guess u can use a explorer motor.lol. I think the gt40p's are better. They have a higher CR. But i was just wondering about this explorer stuff and apparently it was a good idea!.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:04 PM
Dan89lx
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 87GT5.0

whats better gt40p or just gt40 heads, now you all got me interested in this explorer motor lol i really want to do this, it sounds like a decently cheap way to have a kick *** motor[sm=gears.gif]
the gt40p heads are suppoused to be a little better, buy you need special headers if you are using those heads because the spark plug is at a diffrent angle in the p heads than stock mustang or gt40 heads. a motor with the p heads would probably be a lot easier to find. Certain lontubes can clear the gt40p heads, my friend used some heddman shorties with his explorer motor(p heads) and it was always burning up plug wires/boots. You may be able to make something work with the headers you have but it is reccomended to get the gt40p headers. summit sells them. If you dont already have aftermarket headers, that would give you a good excuse to buy some when you get that explorer motor. just be aware of the header situation and do some resarch on it- you should always do research before making changes to your car just to make everything go as smooth as possible. If anybody knows what other kinds of headers that will clear p heads- please post it.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:02 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

damm dont you ppl read what i post. holy ****. its not liek i dont have the experience with this setup. BBK shorty unequals will work. with GTP heads. the CR on a stock explorer isnt as hight as a standard 5.0 ho. the motor can be made to have power but its not cobra motor.

19 injectors
GT40 lower
GT40e upper [difference is a combo between gt40 and cobra. this one has smaller and longer runners for more low end]
1.6 rockers
cobra stamped valve covers
dist less ignition
hyper pistons
gtp heads [97 1/4 and up]
very tame cam
65mm tb
motor only made 200hp

now if you remove the heads and intake and use them on you 5.0ho you will see gains
Old 04-14-2005, 10:07 PM
87GT5.0
1st Gear Member

so i guess take the heads off of the explorer motor along witht the intake and the injectors, and put them on my 5.0ho, with a b cam and then what do your think that would amount to as far as torque and hp
Old 04-14-2005, 10:38 PM
Dan89lx
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohsoquik02

damm dont you ppl read what i post. holy ****. its not liek i dont have the experience with this setup. BBK shorty unequals will work. with GTP heads. the CR on a stock explorer isnt as hight as a standard 5.0 ho. the motor can be made to have power but its not cobra motor.

19 injectors
GT40 lower
GT40e upper [difference is a combo between gt40 and cobra. this one has smaller and longer runners for more low end]
1.6 rockers
cobra stamped valve covers
dist less ignition
hyper pistons
gtp heads [97 1/4 and up]
very tame cam
65mm tb
motor only made 200hp

now if you remove the heads and intake and use them on you 5.0ho you will see gains
we listen to you man, thats why i said in my post for people to post more info if they have any. i was just saying what i knew. by the way- whats the compression on one of those p motors in stock form.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:44 AM
birdman076
2nd Gear Member

You can use the heads, upper and lower intake, and the injectors from the Explorer motor. I the whole set up in my car now, it had the original style injectors until recently when I switched over. The car starts easier, runs better, gets better mileage, and better performance. Also I have heard there are a couple of variations on the injectors for the Explorer, make sure the plug for the harness connectors match the ones in your car ( should be square). Also only use orange body injectors as I have heard they used cream or beige color and they are rated at 15lbs per hour instead of 19lbs. Don't know how true it is just check it out for yourself. The P's do need special P specific headers most of the time but there are some that will work like the ones mentioned in previous posts. The Ps have a smaller combustion chamber than regular GT40's so there is a slight compression difference. Where the real performance gains come in is swirl, spark plug angle, and a lighter exhaust valve due to being slightly smaller. The P's will outflow stock GT40 heads. The link below is nice for a comparison on head flow numbers from one head to anothe, select 2 heads from the drop down menu to see the difference. Hope this helps.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/630.shtml

The picture shows what stock mustang injectors look like and the stock explorer ones that are next to them. Click on the attachment for a blown up view. I got the pic from someone on corral.net I think it may have been Tmoss but I'm not sure, I don't want to take credit for something that isn't mine. [8D]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13212/3FB22DD5181842EBBFECDB2808169E7E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-15-2005, 01:07 AM
Dan89lx
3rd Gear Member

birdman- that link rules. where do you come up with this stuff?
Old 04-15-2005, 01:24 AM
birdman076
2nd Gear Member

I do alot of research on things I like, when I had the Pontiacs I became a nut about part numbers and info of any type on them as well. So since I got the stang 10 months ago I joined corral.net, allfordmustang.com, stangpro.com, stangtuning.com, mustangcentral.com, 5.0.org, and stangsource.com. I also research information on fordfuelinjection.com, windsor-fox.com, turbomustangs.com, diyporting.com, fordmuscle.com, dynoperformance.com, mustangsandfords.com, wellsmfgcorp.com,and modernmustangs-na.com.

Usually I will print out articles or information and put it in a 3 ring binder for reading at a later date, and to have a hard copy. I like to know what I am dealing with and can be somewhat obsessive with it at times lol. But my favorite source is the Ford service manual I have. Maybe I should do a post with all the links lol who knows they might make it a sticky[8D]
Old 04-15-2005, 05:30 PM
87GT5.0
1st Gear Member

Sorry to keep beating a dead horse, but so far this is what i have gathered from this post, i can take the upper and lower intake off of a explorer (basically the same as a gt40 intake) and bolt it on to my 5.0, as well as take the heads off of a explorer and they are gt40p heads, and bolt them right up also. And if i take the injectors out of the explorer they will also slide right in, now what kind of gains am i looking at with these mods?

Quick Reply: Explorer engine??