5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Hissing Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 12:07 AM
luckypballer
2nd Gear Member

Default Hissing Sound?

So i finally got my car driveable after about 4months of B.S. I pull in the driveway and hear this horrible ssssshhhhhhhhhhh(my sound affects) sound, so im like o shiattt and i pop the hood. The car wasn't over heating, i look down and there is steam pouring out of my bypass hose. I didn't see any water coming out? So is it just not tight enough or do i have a bigger problem on my hands, maybe i just need to buy new hoses? Thx for the help
Old 04-15-2005, 02:10 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Hissing Sound?

is your radiator full of coolant?
Old 04-16-2005, 04:27 AM
Predator
2nd Gear Member

The same thing happened to me, although I had steam comming out of the engine and wasn't able to find the problem until it started steaming (and got up to 3/4 on the temp). Its most likely your bypass hose, I went to the local Ford dealership and they wanted $18 or so for the hose (the one that was on my car was in the wrong spot to begin with), so I went to schucks and got the "universal" cut it yourself one.

I knew I was taking a risk with that one, but it was $6 less and I figure that is two days worth of lunch money. Put it in (unnecessarily using the whole hose because I didn't want to cut it), and haven't had any problem since. Oh I also got some clamps for both sides of the hose, just to make sure it was snug.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:46 PM
luckypballer
2nd Gear Member

any more ideas, i drove it again last night and it got really really hot, it was at about the O in normal. Would the bypass hose make it overheat like that
Old 04-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: luckypballer

any more ideas, i drove it again last night and it got really really hot, it was at about the O in normal. Would the bypass hose make it overheat like that

dont drive your car anymore man. thats really dangerous getting that hot, i would make sure your radiator fan clutch is working (turn the fan by hand while the engine is off and see if it turns easily, if it does then that = bad).

make sure your radiator cap is new and 14 psi rated.

make sure your water pump is working, replace it anyway for 30 bucks. i did and its worth the work and cash.

then flush out your radiator. take it out of your car completely, stick a hose in one end and let it run for a little while. use soap and rinse it out real good.

if you do all this and nothing works the overheating, look into getting a new Mr. Gasket 180 degree thermostat from summit ( just $9 that can save your engine).

hope this helps and dont drive the stang when its hot!!

good luck
Old 04-17-2005, 03:48 PM
luckypballer
2nd Gear Member

thats whats weird it only gets that hot once and a while. I put a 180 thermostat in and i have flushed the radiator. Could it be air in the system? It looks like my bypass hose isn't on all the way so could it be letting air into the system?
Old 04-17-2005, 05:06 PM
luckypballer
2nd Gear Member

Well i just bought a water pump, and while i was looking at my radiator i noticed that my coolant level was almost none existant. I just filled it up two days ago. There are no signs of a leak, is that hissing sound and steam my coolant evaporating?
Old 04-17-2005, 05:30 PM
luckypballer
2nd Gear Member

I think i will just go ahead and buy a new radiator also, it looks like mine is just filled with crap, i was thinking about getting a new one like this

[IMG]local://upfiles/10170/BD1EA757CACC4137B1821FF0CD503592.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-17-2005, 06:24 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

how much is that??...fans included too??
ORIGINAL: luckypballer

I think i will just go ahead and buy a new radiator also, it looks like mine is just filled with crap, i was thinking about getting a new one like this

[IMG]local://upfiles/10170/BD1EA757CACC4137B1821FF0CD503592.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-17-2005, 06:35 PM
Predator
2nd Gear Member

Yeah the steam is the coolant evaporating. Try to find the source of it, and if its anything like mine, there will be a tiny split nearly impossible to see unless its underpressure. In my case, this is what happened, and once I found the break in the line, I didn't drive my car until I repaired it.

If there is steam comming out from your engine and a hissing sound, then it shouldn't be too hard to find, it sounds like its just a break in a hose, but a new radiator (w/ 2 electric fans?...I want) and water pump sure won't hurt. I just think it might have been money that wasn't neccessary to spend yet.

I like saving money, so I check into the cheap things first, and lucky for me it was the cheap thing. Still even when you get all that stuff in, I'd still check the hoses (look for anysign of leakage, which is usually had to find because most of the contents evaporates) and make sure everything is secure w/ clamps and stuff like that.

And while we are on the subject of overheating, anyone else's car's temp jump up when the lights are on? I left my lights on for a few minutes with the engine off, and the temp gague went up to the redline, and when I drive with the lights on, the temp jumps about 1/2 a line or about 20*. I know its not the real temp, but it scares me some times how high it gets, so I turn off the lights for a few sec to see the real temp and its below 1/2 way mark so I breathe a sigh of relief. Just wondering if that is normal.

Quick Reply: Hissing Sound?