5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 02:30 AM
89Five.O

Default steering problems

my 89 mustangpullsto the sides (specially) when im on the freeway,I got my car aligned when i got my springs andshocks put in so i dont uderstand what it could be. i took it to another shop to get the alignment checked and they said its fine! if i hold the steering wheel straightthe car seems to veer off to eitherside (specially)if the pavement is uneven. all input will be grately appreciated!
Old 04-18-2008, 03:23 AM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: steering problems

Bump steer? Is the car lowered?
Old 04-18-2008, 04:27 AM
89Five.O

yes, about an inch
Old 04-18-2008, 04:48 AM
89Five.O

will theUPR bump steer kit correct this?
Old 04-18-2008, 08:21 AM
verter2
2nd Gear Member

Large front tires will make this problem much more noticible. As you mentioned, your on uneven pavement to begin with. It might just be something you will have to deal with, or try a more narrow tire. If your alignment is good, there really is nothing more to be done. Caster/Camber plates might help a little, but can be expensive. The bump steer kit is really not going to help, those and offset rack bushingsare more for cars with tubular K-members and A-arms. IMO. GoodLuck
Old 04-29-2008, 10:09 AM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: verter2

Large front tires will make this problem much more noticible. As you mentioned, your on uneven pavement to begin with. It might just be something you will have to deal with, or try a more narrow tire. If your alignment is good, there really is nothing more to be done. Caster/Camber plates might help a little, but can be expensive. The bump steer kit is really not going to help, those and offset rack bushingsare more for cars with tubular K-members and A-arms. IMO. GoodLuck
This is complete mis-information! Bump steer kits and offset rack bushings are designed to place the steering linkage back into correct geometry on a lowered vehilce, not beause of tubular K-memebers.
verter2, does make a good point here, larger tires will increase steering wander when there are rutts in the pavement.

89Five.O, look under the car at the tie-rods. The tie-rods should be parallel with ground (or close to parallel). If not the geometry is off and needsd to be correted, and a bump steer kit is usedto correctthis (even on stock K-members and A-arms)
Old 04-30-2008, 08:07 AM
verter2
2nd Gear Member

[/quote]

This is complete mis-information! Bump steer kits and offset rack bushings are designed to place the steering linkage back into correct geometry on a lowered vehilce, not beause of tubular K-memebers.
verter2, does make a good point here, larger tires will increase steering wander when there are rutts in the pavement.

89Five.O, look under the car at the tie-rods. The tie-rods should be parallel with ground (or close to parallel). If not the geometry is off and needsd to be correted, and a bump steer kit is usedto correctthis (even on stock K-members and A-arms)

[/quote]

PJC, You are completely mistaken in you assertion that I am wrong, as well as your incorrect advice to 89Five.O. I suggest you contact Maximum Motorsports (Tech Line 808-544-8748) and they will say the same thing as I had previously typed (cause that's where I got the info directly from). Unless of course your going to say that MM doesn't know what they are doing when it comes to Mustang suspensions. Is that what your saying?
Old 04-30-2008, 08:13 AM
onesickstang01
2nd Gear Member

well loweringa car will make it wander sometimes but as stated above if you have bigger tires you will notice it. i put on bigger tires and i feel it. also if you used wheel spacers at all. made a huge differnce on my 73. it wanted to pull all over the road. theres alot of things that could cause it but those are just the problems i have ran into
Old 04-30-2008, 09:09 AM
verter2
2nd Gear Member

PJC, in case you aren't inclined to contact Maximum Motorsports, here are some quotes from their material:

(1) "Simply lowering your car does not affect bumpsteer."

(2) "Offset steering rack bushings move the rack far too much on stock K-members, and make an acceptable situation far worse than if you had done nothing at all."

I just hope that if you are in the business that you haven't been selling stuff to your customers based on bogus information...
Old 04-30-2008, 10:14 AM
95 331GT

Hey, here's an idea. Sit in the car while it's being aligned. I had a bigger guy who was street/strip with his 95 GT and he put skinnies on the front and I aligned and aligned that car and still couldn't get it right. So one day he was in and I had him sit in the car while I aligned it. Now he can run down the strip without touching the wheel.

Quick Reply: steering problems