5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

supercharger or turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:52 PM
1990NOS!
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: supercharger or turbo

U sure?? always been told dif...either a sc'r is a sc'r.... Andi may a newb to the site, but not to the game.Buster
Old 04-30-2008, 03:09 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1990NOS!

U sure?? always been told dif...either a sc'r is a sc'r.... Andi may a newb to the site, but not to the game.Buster
lol, just playing with ya, and yes im sure about the superchargers
Old 04-30-2008, 03:12 PM
verter2
2nd Gear Member

LOL, don't get lippy...you were wrong. Accept it and move on.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:17 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

yea screw/root blowers=instant boost (almost) and have hotter air temps vs. centri charger

centri=boost w/ rpm rise

turbo=boost depending on setup, you could have max boost at 2500rpms if the right parts are used, turbo's tend to be hot and a little more expensive vs a s/c. turbos make more hp per psi of boost b/c there is no belt.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:00 PM
floodzilla
3rd Gear Member

turbos are a beautiful thing but i just drove in a car with a kenny bell twin screw blower and i gotta tell ya. i need new shorts, this thing was putting out more psi then my turbo system is, throughout the powerband!! its kinda scary. DEI...[sm=icon_rofl.gif]
Old 04-30-2008, 07:07 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94StinkinLincoln

yea screw/root blowers=instant boost (almost) and have hotter air temps vs. centri charger

centri=boost w/ rpm rise

turbo=boost depending on setup, you could have max boost at 2500rpms if the right parts are used, turbo's tend to be hot and a little more expensive vs a s/c. turbos make more hp per psi of boost b/c there is no belt.
thats where the meth kit comes in handy [8D]
Old 04-30-2008, 09:20 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

yes but over time meth eats crap up, i have read that about the s/c and the heads i think it was.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:01 PM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

Performance Oil Technology
ORIGINAL: 86 5.0L

centri=boost w/ rpm rise

thats where the meth kit comes in handy [8D]
You can use meth on a centri too. =D

The meth eating stuff up over time is a big rumor. As long as everything is installed properly and it isn't pooling up anywhere in the intake, it won't eat anything up. It actually does a very nice job of keeping everything nice and clean.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:33 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Turbos- stay cooler, and you make the boost when you hit a specific rpm range for that certain turbo.
They are also said to be more forgiving on motors because you are not under constant boost.
If you go turbo i'd say either PT76mm, or twin turbo (builds boost faster w/ to equally smaller mm sized turbos)
with either 47mm's or a set of 57mm's.
Turbos definitely don't stay cooler.

No power adder causes an engine to be under constant boost unless you don't know what youre doing when building the kit or whoever you bought the kit from doesn't know what they're doing.
centrifugals let air leak back around the impeller at lower rpm & most people install a bypass valve along with them. Either way no boost gets past the throttle body, between the tb & sc is a different story without a bypass.
roots & twin screw's rotors spin in a vacuum after the throttle body. There isn't enough air to cause any positive psi relative to atmosphere.
turbos don't spin fast enough to produce positive pressure under cruise conditions.
yes but over time meth eats crap up, i have read that about the s/c and the heads i think it was.
... are you not diluting it or what?
Old 05-01-2008, 06:56 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

i personally have not seen it, just heard about it, didnt know how true it was, they did say the mix had a big part in that.

im probally going to need it, if i turbo or s/c, max of 4-6psi, 10.3:1CR and 93 octane, so yea...

Quick Reply: supercharger or turbo