5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

400m project

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 07:23 PM
battery

Default 400m project

well i recently came across a deal on a 400hp 400m and i'm wondering if anyone has any experience/knows what is involved in swapping the 400m into a third gen mustang. does anyone know where i could get a swap kit? or atleast the motor mounts?
Old 05-09-2008, 07:35 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: 400m project

400 m 's are not the most desirable to swap in and swap parts aren't as easy to come by a 351 windsor would be a better choice but 400m's built right can put out some power
Old 05-09-2008, 07:50 PM
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member

I would stay away from them. The aftermarket is just not in-tune with the "M" blocks, as competition like the 351M and 400 engines.

I have worked on a couple of them...
Old 05-09-2008, 08:56 PM
battery

well considering the motor already puts out 400hp and i got it for the low low price of free its hard not to want to stick it into a light weight fox body. i mean seriously, spend a few thousand on a new motor or spend a few hundred to stuff a perfectly fine motor into a car. so, back to my original questions...what is involved in swapping the 400m into a third gen mustang? does anyone know where i could get a kit? or the motor mounts?
Old 05-09-2008, 09:04 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

ive heard bad things about the m blocks. Since it was a marine type motor my old auto teacher told me they had bad oiling problems which i guess could be a possibility since boats usally don't rev as high as a car engine so they didn't need as extensive oiling engineering
Old 05-09-2008, 09:10 PM
battery

every motor has its quirks. i'll be sure to keep a critical eye on the oil situation. there shouldnt be too much strain on the motor, its only making 1hp per cubic inch.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:54 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

What everyone is trying to tell you, is that a 400M may be way more trouble than it's worth. Otherwise, it's mostly like putting a SBF in. I wouldn't put an M in anything I drove that was performance oriented, and the whole Cleveland family is seriously over-rated by most people anyway. And do you know this engine is 400hp, or is that just what you were told?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:36 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: battery

well considering the motor already puts out 400hp and i got it for the low low price of free its hard not to want to stick it into a light weight fox body. i mean seriously, spend a few thousand to stuff a perfectly fine motor into a car. so, back to my original questions...what is involved in swapping the 400m into a third gen mustang? does anyone know where i could get a kit? or the motor mounts?
there I fixed your line of thinking...now you have the answer......it will be all custom and not cheap////why? cause it's not a desirable swap
Old 05-09-2008, 11:48 PM
battery

what everyone keeps telling me is irrelevant. i asked a question and instead of getting answers i got shot down. i happen to of gotten the motor from my father who works as project coordinator for ford. all i wanted to know was if anyone had any specifc and relevant information about the swap and where i could find motor mounts. what i didn't want is everyone's opinion on the project, but apparantly its all i'm going to get.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:59 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: battery

what everyone keeps telling me is irrelevant. i asked a question and instead of getting answers i got shot down. i happen to of gotten the motor from my father who works as project coordinator for ford. all i wanted to know was if anyone had any specifc and relevant information about the swap and where i could find motor mounts. what i didn't want is everyone's opinion on the project, but apparantly its all i'm going to get.
okay obviously you are deaf in one ear so I'll spell it out for you!!!......number 1......you'll need motor mounts, number two if your already efi...trash all the efi and all the emissions and you'll need custom headers and custom exhaust to the catback, you'll need to run a carb set up then, you'll need all the bracketry to adapt all the accessories to run in your fox, you'll need to convert the fuel system to run off of low pressure for a carb set up, you'll need the correct bellhousing and flex plate and tranny = c-4 or c-6 and custom radiator hoses and a larger radiator most likely to cool the big beast..ect ect .......so it ain't gonna be a few hundred bucks when all said and done........This is not and I reapeat not an opinion it is FACT!!! oh and good luck finding a oil pan for conversion to work with such

also block is an 8 bolt pattern like a 460 so you'll need a bellhousing and or tranny from a 460 powered vehicle if trying the cheaproute.....and here is some more info on motor

The 351m and 400 have the same bore spacing as the 302/351C/351W but a taller block for a longer stroke and rods. They were considered the next generation of the 351 Cleveland. They share the same cylinder head bolt pattern as the Clevelands but most of the external bolt ons were different. The 400 started production towards the mid 70's where compression was dropped down to around 8 to 1 compression. This of course affected Horsepower numbers. They had the 460 big block bell housing pattern to use larger clutches for greater torque capacity, which is why some people opt to swap out to a 460 Big block. The exhaust bolt pattern, pulleys, accessories and Brackets are not the same though. The 351M was introduced after the 400 to fill production demand for a 351 size engine. They were not known for their big performance by enthusiasts but a good engine when setup properly for low end grunt torque.

so what everyone is telling you is not and I repeat NOT irrevavant

Quick Reply: 400m project