5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Valve train problems!!! please help

Old 05-11-2008, 12:17 PM
bikeboy587
4th Gear Member

Default Valve train problems!!! please help

First I measured (incorrectly I came to find out) and tried 6.400 pushrods and i had no compression, my engine would not fire. Then I put my stock 6.250 pushrods back in and the motor started, but I had a noise as if my rockers were hitting my valve covers, but they were not. Checked my lifters, re-primed them just incase, checked the tq on all my rockers, the heads were checked before being put in the motor and had a valve job done on them. I called Trickflow and they said my pushrods were too short and I needed 6.300 rods. The car was running fine except for the noisy valve train....

Soooo I order them and put them in my car, not it won't fire, lot of popping in the exhaust and in the intake...I am going to see if i have compression as soon as i get a fitting for my compression tool that fits my heads...

I really need help guys I have had this thing apart 5 times in 3 weeks and i am at whits end....
Old 05-11-2008, 02:16 PM
bikeboy587
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Valve train problems!!! please help

bump
Old 05-11-2008, 02:19 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

man um did u measure to be positivre of the length u need ,i mean the techs there probably know there stuff but u still need to measure them.

so what top end are u running what is your setup?

u must be running pedestal rockers?
Old 05-11-2008, 02:34 PM
bikeboy587
4th Gear Member

Told you i tried measuring and got a wrong length so i called the tech the 2nd time around. i had tried the stock ones bec the prev. owner of the heads had used them with his set up. i know each one is different. top end set up is in my sig with 1.6 ford racing RR
Old 05-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

The only way to determine the correct PR length is by measuring and doing a geometry check. Don't misinterpret the following, but instead of having a tech support guy "guess" at the PR length, it would have been more effective and accurate to find what was wrong in the way you were measuring them, and redoing it correctly. You can also check the actual lifter preload once you torque the rocker arms, by following the procedure described here..... anything over .060" can create the problems you're having.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:49 PM
bikeboy587
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

The only way to determine the correct PR length is by measuring and doing a geometry check. Don't misinterpret the following, but instead of having a tech support guy "guess" at the PR length, it would have been more effective and accurate to find what was wrong in the way you were measuring them, and redoing it correctly. You can also check the actual lifter preload once you torque the rocker arms, by following the procedure described here..... anything over .060" can create the problems you're having.

already checked the pre load on the lifters with the 6.250" pushrods and it was .037"......right in the middle of the sweet spot of .020 to .060 that they are suppose to be.....yet I had valve train clapping. I have no idea why it was making noise. and it was not normal noise it was LOUD valve train clapping. Tech guy did not guess, he used info he knew from a set up his friend had with this cam. And common sense said that my pushrods were too short so I got the next set longer, the same that the Trickflow tech recommended, the 6.300. Now these seem to be too long but i won't know until i get the correct fitting tom to do a compression check. the only other size i have seen listed between a 6.250-6.300 is a 6.258 I saw....could my old pushrods only really been .008 off to be making all that noise???????!!!?? but it sill doesn't make sense that they would be makign noise because they were right in the middle of the pre-load range, i could see if I was on the edge of the range that i would of been making noise but i was right in the ****ing middle!!!
Old 05-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bikeboy587

already checked the pre load on the lifters with the 6.250" pushrods and it was .037"......right in the middle of the sweet spot of .020 to .060 that they are suppose to be.....yet I had valve train clapping. I have no idea why it was making noise. and it was not normal noise it was LOUD valve train clapping. Tech guy did not guess, he used info he knew from a set up his friend had with this cam. And common sense said that my pushrods were too short so I got the next set longer, the same that the Trickflow tech recommended, the 6.300. Now these seem to be too long but i won't know until i get the correct fitting tom to do a compression check. the only other size i have seen listed between a 6.250-6.300 is a 6.258 I saw....could my old pushrods only really been .008 off to be making all that noise???????!!!?? but it sill doesn't make sense that they would be makign noise because they were right in the middle of the pre-load range, i could see if I was on the edge of the range that i would of been making noise but i was right in the ****ing middle!!!
Reads like something else is causing the problem....... I always set for the lowest preload (.020" - .030") and never had a problem..... unless there was a problem with lifters, or rocker arms not clearing the valve retainers. LUK what you find out.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:45 PM
bikeboy587
4th Gear Member

Lifters are BRAND New Ford Racing ones

I don't know what to try next, besides shimming my rockers to get inbetween a 6.250 and a 6.300, gonna try after .030 shim after i do a compression test
Old 05-11-2008, 07:28 PM
bikeboy587
4th Gear Member

anyone have any constructive input???
Old 05-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Yep...... other than making sure you determine the correct PR length(s) (yep.... it could need two different length PR's) based on a Valve Train Geometry check/exercise....... if the noise or problem continues to be present, you would need to search for other cause possibilities.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Valve train problems!!! please help