5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Smog pump, Cools heads? (engine rebuilders advice)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Default Smog pump, Cools heads? (engine rebuilders advice)

As some of you know, I had the engine rebuilt in my mustang. I'm working on getting it all back in and what not. When I got it, the smog pump was locked up and they had a shorter belt bypassing it. The guy that rebuild my engine said I should get the smog pump hooked back up as it cools the heads. A lot of you on here have smop pump emliminators, or it seems like it. Do I really need it? Will it affect the heads? Will it be ok to have no smog pump? Or should I replace it for the heads sake?
Old 05-11-2008, 11:34 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Smog pump, Cools heads? (engine rebuilders advice)

lol bypass and leave it off
Old 05-12-2008, 12:58 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Cools the heads off for what...? Smog pumps are ment to push air into the exhaust to help burn unburned fuel. If anything I would assume it would actually make the heads heat up more. In any case I bypassed mine with no problems & still none. You could fix it or remove for weight savings.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:09 AM
skumbee
2nd Gear Member

hahaha wow i never heard that one before maybe your mechanic thinks that way cuz its called an"airpump" but no my friend just bypass it and take off all that emissions crap off your engine bay would look alot cleaner
Old 05-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

That isn't a totally unfounded statement, but he's a bit off. The combustion temp has more to do with the EGR function than the AIR pump. But, on 5.0's the two are directly correlated.

Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) is a NOx emissions reduction technique used in most gasoline and diesel engines. EGR works by recirculating a portion of an engine's exhaust gas back to the engine cylinders. Intermixing the incoming air with recirculated exhaust gas dilutes the mix with inert gas, lowering the adiabatic flame temperature and (in diesel engines) reducing the amount of excess oxygen. The exhaust gas also increases the specific heat capacity of the mix lowering the peak combustion temperature. Because NOx formation progresses much faster at high temperatures, EGR serves to limit the generation of NOx. NOx is primarily formed when a mix of nitrogen and oxygen is subjected to high temperatures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egr

I've also heard that eliminating the AIR pump can cause fuel mixture problems because of the lack of expected gases in the system. I'm sure there are guys on here that deal with emissions controls on a professional level that can explain all of that in more detail (or accuracy).

With that being said, I've never had a problem with my car with the AIR pump deleted and the stock EGR left alone. In fact, mine gets freakishly good gas mileage for a 5.0.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

There is a tube that goes to the rear of the heads from the "air" pump. That's why I'd assume he stated this.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Vertastang
2nd Gear Member

just cut those pipes off the back of the heads and bend them or weld them shut. thats what i did.