5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

summit o/r x just won't fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 04:33 PM
JPNHigh

Default summit o/r x just won't fit

Hey, I just bought a summit offroad x for my 95 GT and it won't fit. Tried it myself, then took it to a shop and they said it won't work. Its not the x it self that doesn't work but the pipes heading to the manifold itself. There are two pipes that connect the x to the headers and both of them come off in different angles and so forth. What o/r x are people running with their BBK shorty headers? I need to get this car on the road and am kinda upset that the summit kit did not work. Please post on up. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:59 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Default RE: summit o/r x just won't fit

I have a BBK H w/ BBK shorties...So it will connect to mufflers, but won't line up to headers?
Old 06-03-2008, 05:08 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

are you leaving everything loose until it's all in place? How many pieces is the X pipe?
Old 06-03-2008, 05:26 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

I had trouble with cheap mid pipes, I put out the extra for a BBK X and it fits perfect. I have BBK shorties as well
Old 06-03-2008, 05:37 PM
MADMAC
2nd Gear Member

I have a 94 GT with BBK O/R H pipes. No problems with fitment at all. I don't know if there is a difference but they could have sent you one that goes on a Fox body style???? Others here could expand on this, whether this is true or not.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:14 PM
JPNHigh

ORIGINAL: camaroeater

I have a BBK H w/ BBK shorties...So it will connect to mufflers, but won't line up to headers?
Yea.When it gets to the headersnot only will the flange not line upcorrect butwhen it gets close the drivers side starts heading outtowards the door and the pass. side starts going up towards the floor boards.

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

are you leaving everything loose until it's all in place? How many pieces is the X pipe?
I am leaving everything loose. The x pipe is a solid piece and then when it connects to the header there is two pieces. Total of a 3 piece set.

I think my game plan from the sounds of your response is to just get the bbk x pipe to match up with the headers. I was planning on doing that from the start but i figured its just a pipe and wanted to save money, but in the long run it sure didn't. Thanks for the posts. I wanted to hear people were running bbk shorties with a mid pipe that bolted in with no problems.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:49 PM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

i got the summit o/r h pipe, it fit up no problem. hook up the pieces that go to the headers first, then work your way back. thats all I can really tell you. I don't understand how it didn't fit unless they gave you the wrong pipes. I'm running FRPP shorties and no problems.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:48 PM
ttoppedgt

did u try swapping the 2 downpipes....... cause there is a diffrence.....look at the o2 sensor bungs.....the driver side and passenger r closer and further away.... look at the stock midpipe match up which pipe goes where bolt the downpipes down first (LOSE) then run ur way back ..........i got a 86 with bbk equals to bbk o/r x pipe bolted right up .....plus buying cheaper deff doesnt help in any way.....one way or another its gonna bite u in the ***!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:53 PM
will
2nd Gear Member

I had that issue with my summit h pipe it was too wide come to find out my header flanges at the head were bent too far in on the dvr side. I put on a new set and the h pipe worked. I can't tell you how the stock unit fit,it was v6.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:55 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Is the X-pipe for a 1994/95 specifically?

Quick Reply: summit o/r x just won't fit