5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

347 stroker kit help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:00 PM
NELLY97Cobra

Default 347 stroker kit help

Hey guys, I started posting a couple days ago and for some reason had to register again. But for those guys that helped me with the cylinder heads and piston questions, I really appreciate it.

I have a 97 Mustang V6 automatic that I bought for a project street/strip car. Its completely taken apart and ready to be built. I would like to start building the engine first instead of the chassis/suspension. Im going witha 5.0 block, and not yet found a s5spd tranny or diff. I would like to get a 347 stroker kit and wanted to know if anyone has had any problems with it. For example oil consumption or valve clearance.

Also, if I decide to go with the 347, what length rods should I use and type of pistons? I may go with GT40 heads since the stroker kit will drain my pocket a little.Anything else that I need to know about the 347 before I decide to go with this kit? Thanks in advance
Old 06-03-2008, 08:11 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: 347 stroker kit help

dont be dumb, do the suspension first
Old 06-03-2008, 08:20 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

it does take some suspension to keep the tires planted with the increase in tq.
eagle makes a good kit, thats what i went with, but in the 331 version, only 3.25 stroke.
my suggestion, instead of building one yourself, since it sounds like you have not done this before, or having some 1 local do it, go to fordstrokers.com
i personally did not buy a motor from him, i bought other parts and the help was great, but from every person that bought motors from him, the customer service was top notch, and honestly, the price he builds the shortblock for, was a few hundred cheaper than the local shop that did mine.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:44 PM
NELLY97Cobra

I understand that the suspension is one of, if not "the" most important part of building astreet/strip carand yes I have done this before just not with Mustangs or any other Ford. I make a living as an auto mechanic and have built many engines including rotory engines. I dont have the money to buy a crate motor especially when I can build one just like it for lots cheaper. What I need is opinions of people who have tried the 347 stroker kit and have experienced any problems since I heard they tend to burn alot of oil because of the piston's oil rings . I would like to build the motor myself and need help from guys who can tell mewhat combination ofparts I can replace tomake some serious power and torque natuarlly aspirated but driveable on the street.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:48 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

none of them burn oil, carry on. You are listening to internet engine builders, who have never built ****
Old 06-03-2008, 09:51 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

347 's are over rated you don't want one!! just build a 302
Old 06-03-2008, 10:19 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

347's dont have the problem any more, thanks to technology.
too much for a long block maby, but for a short block, no. fordstrokers has a damn good price and beat my 2 local builds but a couple hundred bucks!!!
i have heard many happy posts about woody, and if i had to get another short block, he would be my go to guy
Old 06-04-2008, 03:03 AM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: NELL97Cobra[/align][/align]Hey guys, I started posting a couple days ago and for some reason had to register again. But for those guys that helped me with the cylinder heads and piston questions, I really appreciate it.

I have a 97 Mustang V6 automatic that I bought for a project street/strip car. Its completely taken apart and ready to be built. I would like to start building the engine first instead of the chassis/suspension. Im going witha 5.0 block, and not yet found a s5spd tranny or diff. I would like to get a 347 stroker kit and wanted to know if anyone has had any problems with it. For example oil consumption or valve clearance.

Also, if I decide to go with the 347, what length rods should I use and type of pistons? I may go with GT40 heads since the stroker kit will drain my pocket a little.Anything else that I need to know about the 347 before I decide to go with this kit? Thanks in advance [/align][/align][quote][/align][/align]
If you are such a great engine builder why are you asking these questions? For examlpe: PTV, you should know that the the cam will depict most of this. You should already know that 302 parts on a 347 will make 302 power (your GT-40's). Rod length, you should already know there arecommonly only 2 differnt rod rod lengths. Type of pistons? Come on, this is the most basic of all. Just because you are an auto mehanic does not mean you are an engine builder.

You should educated youself a little more before going into this build, otherwise you just may have an oil comsumer and then tell everyone 347's are junk and you should have gone with a 331. For the most part that is how that misconception started in the first place.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:41 AM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

One other point, don't throw the budget card in mix for not wanting to get a short/long block, they can be cheaper that building one yourself once you add up all the mahine work.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:50 PM
NELLY97Cobra

Thanks for nothing. It seems like you couple of guys who replied are more interested in insulting people than helping them. Thanks anyway.

Quick Reply: 347 stroker kit help