5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

solid roller lifters

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 05:25 PM
five0fm
3rd Gear Member

Default solid roller lifters

hey guys about how often do you need to replace the lifterswhen usinga solid roller cam?
Old 06-18-2008, 05:27 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Default RE: solid roller lifters

I know of several car with well over 200 passes and still on the same solid roller lifters.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:57 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

The days of NASCAR Busch cup cars they would run a race of say 200 miles, go to the shop and they would just look to see if they were'ok' and put them right back in.
I also know of some drag cars that have used the same set for several years........
Old 06-18-2008, 07:53 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

depends, street car? Using a solid roller with pressure fed oiling to the wheel? If not, dont expect alot of life on the street as the old lifters rely on splash, and there aint much splash at idle in traffic. New lifters have pressure fed oiling, cheapest are comp 838's at 340 bucks a set, then you have crowers and isky redzones which are double the comp price. I have run solid rollers on the street for the past 14 years, broke many old style lifters, dont break many of the new ones, but I also run spring pressure in excess of 240+lbs on the seat and 675+ open
Old 06-18-2008, 10:15 PM
five0fm
3rd Gear Member

so the new ones arent that bad?
Old 06-18-2008, 10:29 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

you can run them till the are no good. so basically you can run them for the lift of the engine but your gunna have to take your valve covers off and adjust your valves every 1000 miles or so. as for the oiling thing. you will be fine as long as you are getting the right ones for the type of driving you will do doing. by the way why do you want to run solid lifters?
Old 06-18-2008, 10:33 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HACKGT350

you can run them till the are no good. so basically you can run them for the lift of the engine but your gunna have to take your valve covers off and adjust your valves every 1000 miles or so. as for the oiling thing. you will be fine as long as you are getting the right ones for the type of driving you will do doing. by the way why do you want to run solid lifters?
Please, you have no idea what you are talking about, please tell me your experience with solid roller lifters on the street. As for the 1000 mile thing, again wrong.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:34 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: five0fm

so the new ones arent that bad?
Any of the lifters I named above are fine as they are force fed oiling to the wheels and bearings. Dont listen to the guy that posted after me, totally clueless
Old 06-18-2008, 10:39 PM
five0fm
3rd Gear Member

i think i know what he ment about the valve thing. i know i have to check the of the rockers with a feeler gauge while its on the flat side of the cam. jay said hed design it so id have to check them every 2-3k miles which isnt to bad. ill learn how todo it from my mechanicfriend.i have the new rollers that are force fed also
Old 06-18-2008, 10:41 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: five0fm

i think i know what he ment about the valve thing. i know i have to check the of the rockers with a feeler gauge while its on the flat side of the cam. jay said hed design it so id have to check them every 2-3k miles which isnt to bad. ill learn how todo it from my mechanicfriend.i have the new rollers that are force fed also
jay is doing a tight lash solid roller for you then, I only speak with him 100 times a day. You MIGHT adjust valves every 5k miles, maybe, especially with todays parts we use. You will be fine. What is your name btw?

Quick Reply: solid roller lifters