5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

distributor/cam pos. sens. question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 08:23 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

Default RE: distributor/cam pos. sens. question?

ORIGINAL: alan94

i own a 94 gt, tuesday i ran my 2nd dyno with upsetting results hp down from 255 to 243, tq down from 285 to 263...WTF! the curves did look the same though.i even did a few minor modssince the first pull 2 yrs ago from now. i recently pulled my dizzy,before the 2nd pull,pulled wires off the cap, and was wondering if i may have put them back on wrong, one off or so. i did set timing back to 14* (plug pulled) i looked at the cam pos sens. and noticed one tong is narrower than the others, could this be my problem? the computer sensing the wrong readings due to the rotation of the wires being off one... oh and i really got showed up by a 2000ws6 they told me he ran 326 hp ... yea i dont believe it either, could the dyno just not beoff or what?

thanks
cam position sensor, did anyone catch this?
Old 06-22-2008, 05:02 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94StinkinLincoln
cam position sensor, did anyone catch this?
The narrow tong is so the eec will know where #1 cylinder is.

I'd double check the timing with a light.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:16 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Stator sensor does both jobs...... crankshaft and camshaft position sensor.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:50 PM
alan94

i re-timed it @ 14* (plug pulled) it seems to run the same???
Old 06-23-2008, 12:42 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

i re-timed it @ 14* (plug pulled) it seems to run the same???
ORIGINAL: AdderMk2
turn your timing down to 12°, and make sure your distributor is in correctly
^^^^^^^^^^
Old 06-23-2008, 02:51 AM
alan94

im curious, why do you say turn it down to 12* everybody i,ve talked to tells me 14*
Old 06-23-2008, 03:05 AM
alan94

oh , and how can i check to make sure my distributor is in correctly? my chiltons is very vague.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:02 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

oh , and how can i check to make sure my distributor is in correctly? my chiltons is very vague.
EFI Distributor Installation and Initial Spark Calibration
Old 06-23-2008, 06:19 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

You can stab the disty in incorrectly, but you'll need to get it on time. I took mine out & restabbed it because I was running quite a bit of timing at one point & the water neck was limiting how much I could run, so I took it out, restabbed & retimed it so it was further over.

You could stab it in 180 off technically as long as you moved the case 180 degrees aswell so the pip signals are correct & it fires #1 while the pointer is near the #1 prong. The timing light is what's going to verify if you've got it right.

As far as 14 degrees, most stock 5.0's start to fall off after 13 degrees base timing. When I had my stock cam in, I lost power above 13, with the x303 cam in i've had it up quite a bit more & the power doesn't fall off. Some setups you gain, some you lose. From what i've seen most stock cam setups or similar grinds tend to fall off there. 12/13 is generally where they get the most power.
Not saying it's going to fix the problem, I'm just saying it's something to check. If that doesn't work we can move onto adjusting a couple other things, like checking some of your sensors. To narrow it down the sensors that it could be would be maf, map, ect, act, & tps as they're the only ones really doing anything at wot. But if the car is acting normal you can pretty well rule all of them out.

If timing isn't it, it'll more than likely be tuneup things... spark plugs gapped incorrectly, old wires, worn out cap/rotor, fuel filter, things like that...

Check timing first.

BTW, what "minor" mods did you do to the engine after the run 2 years ago?
Old 06-23-2008, 02:52 PM
alan94

i guess i should have told you all the mods to my car in the beginning, sorry, here goes:FR Ecam, 1.7 rollers,cal. mass air/w 24 lb. inj., 70 mm tb, cobra upper,lower gasket matched to ported/ polished69, 351w heads,im pretty sure the bottom endhas a stock stroke,bbk shorties, off rd. h pipe, to flowmasters, msd blaster pack/ cap rotor, FR 9mm wires, griffin dual core alm rad. 160* thermostat, and it has a swanson chip plugged in the top of the eec box under the pass. kick panel

as far as those minor mods are concerned: underdrive pulleys, and i sanded out, not polished,the rough casting marks in the lower intake runners
ive owned the car three years it had 83k when i bought it, today it has 100k i dont really drive it much

Quick Reply: distributor/cam pos. sens. question?