5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Having engine rebuilt while deployed

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:26 AM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

Default Having engine rebuilt while deployed

I am in Iraq right now and my girl told me that the car was leaking all over the garage and it was "stinky". It is an 89 lx with about 146k on it. it is stock exept for mac exhaust and pypes o/r xpipe. my mechanic said that it's leaking oil from the back of the driver side valve cover and from the back of the intake manifold. i got to thinking, the motor doesnt have much left. nows a good time to yank it out and go through it. i just found out that i'm going to be a father shortly after my return! so this is a budget built. that's were you guys come in.

my mechanic suggested boring it out .030, dropping in a new set of pistons, adding a little "junk talking" lunati cam, a set of shortie headers. I though maybe a set of patriot heads. he said that he can open the stock ones up a bit. that will save some change. he also said i might consider a new intake manifold. I started looking. are the professional products intakes any good? BTW the car is an auto with the AODE. what else am i going to need? new motor mounts perhaps? i know i need a cold air intake or a larger mass air kit (C&L). Do i need larger injectors for that? any advice would be great. all my mustang modding knowledge deals with s197's. thanx.

HUTCH
Old 06-23-2008, 11:10 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Default RE: Having engine rebuilt while deployed

First off, don't mess with porting out the stock heads. You can get yourself a set of GT40's from the junk yard pretty cheap and have them ported out for some good power. If you do go for a set of aluminum heads then you will be steeping up to 24lb injectors. Get a bugger fuel pump. I havn't heard much about the PP intake but there are many to choose from. I want an old tubular GT40 intake once I get a hold of an EFI car. Those things are kick *** looking. If you want a decent top end kit you can go for Trick Flow's. Yes you can get more power with the right matched setup but its a decent price and makes decent power. You might want to pick up a small stall converter for that AODE. Or just switch it to a 5 speed.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:53 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

how much is the budget? starting over fresh you could punch it out and stroke it pretty cheap.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:24 PM
ShadyZealot
2nd Gear Member

Yeah give us some more info. What your budget? and do you just wanna make as much power possible with this budget?

Or is there a certian power level you would be happy with, maybe we could get u there under your budget.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:45 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

screw the stock heads =waste of money as are the patriot heads...find a decent set of aluminum ones on ebay used ..oh and BTW...your 89 should just be an AOD not an AODE unless some one converted it to such...but with a cam swap you'd want decent gears and a matching stall convertor
Old 06-23-2008, 09:51 PM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

I'm thinking 3-4K. If i can put something together for less wonderful. Is that a fantasy. what kind of power can be made with a 306ci bolt on set up? what size MAF sensor and throttle body to use? I thought about going with one of the top end kits from ford racing also. but i don't know if i'd have to step up to 24lb injectors and new fuel delivery set up or what. I just want to be able to drive it every day. And with the baby on the way, I don't want ANY of my vehicles breaking down or leaving me stranded. i sure do appreciate the help. BTW, what's the difference between the AOD and AODE and what years had what? sorry about all the questions but i suppose this is the place to ask them. thanks for the help.

HUTCH
Old 06-23-2008, 10:26 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

83 or 84 the aod started to be put in foxes I believe?? and up to 93 in 94 the aode was installed in sn-95's aod = automatic overdrive and aode = automatic overdrive electronic controlled shift
Old 06-24-2008, 04:48 AM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for clearing that up. Can anybody tell me at what point do i need to step up to 24lb injectors and what size fuel pump is needed to feed them?
Old 06-24-2008, 06:50 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

somewhere around 300 to 325 hp duty cycle on inj becomes to be maxed out and a 190 lph or 255lph is always a good upgrade when adding injectors..determine hp level you want to reach and perform build accordingly
Old 06-24-2008, 08:27 AM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

I know it would bea little easier if i could say "i want to make 340hp" and make that a goal. Unfortunately I can't do that. What i can do is say "I have 4-5k to throw at it." What can i make happen with that and go from there. I am talking to my builder. He's known as the "Ford wizard" and knows his way around mustangs really well. He worked for Ford service departments for years and then opened his own shop. He is very well known and has an outstanding reputation here in the community by everyone from hot rodders to regular joe shmoes just getting a brake job done. He races a 347 stroked lx he built on the weekends too. I have used him many times and completely trust his opinion and knowledge for this build.

I spoke with him today. Couple of things that we talked about...i decided that i might as well put a little more money into it than originally planned. As long as the motor is coming out i might as well build it where the car will be more fun to drive. I decided to go with some alluminum heads(edlebrock or GT40x instead of opening up stock ones). He's got a nice little lunati cam picked out(not sure about specs). BBK shortie headers, Not sure on an intake yet, either polished cobra or GT40. 24lb injectors, bigger fuel pump, new throttle body (not sure how big it needs to be.), new maf sensor and CAI, MSD coil and ignition. Nice set of valve covers. Stall converter and 3:55 gears. They are going to go through the tranny as well. Like i said, i don't know how much power this will make. Would a set up like this make 300hp when bored .030 over? What ever the outcome it'll have to be more fun to drive than it is now. Again, this is my daily driver. The others will come out when it's nice. Thanx for the input.

HUTCH

Quick Reply: Having engine rebuilt while deployed