5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

bring back the 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 02:58 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

Default RE: bring back the 5.0

ORIGINAL: Pure5.0

The 5.0s in the mustang series ended in 1995 with the sn95 mustang. So no the foxes weren't that last ones.

Just to let you know too, they are going to drop a 5.4 in the new GT500 cobra debuting in 2007. Projected 450hp and 450lbs.

Beautiful too if you ask me.

The 5.0 is a very inefficient engine if you ask me. Take a look around. Today they have cars with half our displacement and pushing more HP than us. Granted we still have more TQ but still.

The only reason the mustang 5.0 is so popular to mod is because our computers are the reason. The 5.0s computer will allow an obscene amount of power adders and still not have to be reflashed or chipped like SOOO many cars out there.

That is why the mustang 5.0 has become the number one mustang for modding. EVERYBODY does it.

So even if they did bring back the "5.0" I sure hope it is not the same 205hp (93 GT) as it is now.
Grrr.... Respect the 5.0 and then read...

First off your comparing Ford 5.0L technology which was based on research and funding from the 70's and 80's, to modern day vehicles. These next comments might **** off some 4.6 people but Ive owned a 4.6 GT (1996) and my wife currently has a 4.6 GT (2002) so I know plenty about them as well. A 4.6 engine is (as far as major components such as cylinder heads) pretty much topped out from the factory. You could get them ported but there isnt much more you can do to it to push the N/A power and keep it streetable. They dont have the N/A market like a 5.0 does. You have to do some hellified work to a N/A 4.6 to get the power of a N/A 5.0 which can be obtained relativly easily. A motor is nothing more than an air pump. The more air you can get into it the more power you can make. A 4.6 doesnt have the displacment luxury that a 5.0 enjoys which is why Forced induction is so popular with them but thats beside the point. My point is that a 4.6 is based on modern technology where a 5.0 is older technology.
The reason why factory 5.0s dont put out power are because of the E7 Cylinder heads, intake and cam. You can get our little 302's cranking some massive numbers with the right flowing equipment. Ford mass produced the 5.0 engine, E7 heads = super cheap. Super cheap components made the mustang so affordable. Affordability, not a $200 computer made the 5.0 so popular. Computers can be changed and reflashed very easily The engine is very very effecient, thats why it lasted since the 70's... Do some research, Edelbrock has simple bolt on H/C/I kits that can get you 350+ hp outa the "uneffecient" 5.0 engine.
Also I believe the 1993 GT was at 225 HP.

EDIT: Also the reason why the 5.0 went out of production was because Ford went to the Modular lineup. Not because of emissions. All of fords gasoline powered vehicles use modular engines, from trucks to cars. All modular engines parts are interchangable which saves major bucks for Ford. Thus the name "modular".
Old 05-04-2005, 03:13 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

With what your saying, all 5.0's would fail emissions testing simply because of the engine type? I dont why Ford would change over their entire engine lineup because of emissions standards in which 5.0's can easily pass. I must be missing somthing.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:26 AM
Chris C
2nd Gear Member

True my 5.0 passed emissions just fine WITHOUT cats. I just had a friend who "forgot to look". Emissions standards are allways getting more strict and the 4.6 will do much better than the old 5.0. Its just a cleaner burning motor. The emissions we have to meet are much eaiser than new cars have to pass and if CARB has its way they will only get more strict. Nice cobra BTW.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:33 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

I see where your comming from.
Thanks, hopfully a 4" Cobra R hood from H.O. Fibertrends will liven the looks up a bit.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:51 PM
rcdblink716
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94Cbra

Grrr.... Respect the 5.0 and then read...

First off your comparing Ford 5.0L technology which was based on research and funding from the 70's and 80's, to modern day vehicles. These next comments might **** off some 4.6 people but Ive owned a 4.6 GT (1996) and my wife currently has a 4.6 GT (2002) so I know plenty about them as well. A 4.6 engine is (as far as major components such as cylinder heads) pretty much topped out from the factory. You could get them ported but there isnt much more you can do to it to push the N/A power and keep it streetable. They dont have the N/A market like a 5.0 does. You have to do some hellified work to a N/A 4.6 to get the power of a N/A 5.0 which can be obtained relativly easily. A motor is nothing more than an air pump. The more air you can get into it the more power you can make. A 4.6 doesnt have the displacment luxury that a 5.0 enjoys which is why Forced induction is so popular with them but thats beside the point. My point is that a 4.6 is based on modern technology where a 5.0 is older technology.
The reason why factory 5.0s dont put out power are because of the E7 Cylinder heads, intake and cam. You can get our little 302's cranking some massive numbers with the right flowing equipment. Ford mass produced the 5.0 engine, E7 heads = super cheap. Super cheap components made the mustang so affordable. Affordability, not a $200 computer made the 5.0 so popular. Computers can be changed and reflashed very easily The engine is very very effecient, thats why it lasted since the 70's... Do some research, Edelbrock has simple bolt on H/C/I kits that can get you 350+ hp outa the "uneffecient" 5.0 engine.
Also I believe the 1993 GT was at 225 HP.

EDIT: Also the reason why the 5.0 went out of production was because Ford went to the Modular lineup. Not because of emissions. All of fords gasoline powered vehicles use modular engines, from trucks to cars. All modular engines parts are interchangable which saves major bucks for Ford. Thus the name "modular".

I like this guy. Someone has to stand up for us pushrod guys.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

Nope the 93 GTs are 205hp stock. The only year of the 5.0 that ford actually decreased the HP. I think it is because again they limited the heads and used a different type of piston than previous years.

I would like to see it having 225hp stock but it is not going to happen.

I agree that the 5.0 is compared to modern cars and therefore not as efficient. But because there is access to newer technology the 5.0 compared to everything now is inefficient.

Yes you can make the 5.0 VERY powerful but the only reason is because there IS a market for the 5.0 that is larger than the 4.6 right now. Again the reason is the computer will adapt almost flawlessly to add ons up to I think 500hp. Give or take 50HP.

The 4.6 is not like that...at least I dont think.

Yeah I would love a Cammer 5.0 too but i think I will just buy 3 Fox body GTs instead.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:05 PM
PonyGuy5.0

Fox bodys are bad *** I love them but dont see to many around anymore that is why I got one. Does any one know were you can get som vids of foxbodys ?
Old 05-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PonyGuy5.0

Fox bodys are bad *** I love them but dont see to many around anymore that is why I got one. Does any one know were you can get som vids of foxbodys ?

I see them everywhere...now finding a one in good condition is almost impossible.

Go the the "All forums" and check out the video section. There is some there.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:35 PM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

pure5.0 they did NOT go down from 225 to 205, ford simply changed the way they did dyno testing.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:01 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Damn, dc beat me to it, I was going to say that the hp didn't really change, they just rated it differently.

Anyway, it is true that today's cars with all the technology like DOHC and better heads and all that crap will be pumping out way more power with less displacement, but I still love the simplicity of the pushrod engine. Pretty cheap to modify and the potential is pretty high for its age...

Quick Reply: bring back the 5.0