5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Odds and ends on HCI

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Alero99
3rd Gear Member

Default Odds and ends on HCI

Okay im starting to FINALLY after so long thinking through my HCI plan, gather up the parts

so far i have the Heads with a fresh valve job, minor porting on exhaust (GT-40 irons) Double Springs and aluminum rockers 1.6

I want to replace...

-Lifters, any one know if these will be sufficient? http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...1&comp=LRS

-Pushrods, i need to check the length but im guessing Hardened pushrods is a given so i can wind out to higher RPMS

And i have 4 issues right now...

1 and hte biggest of all a consant missfire in cylender 2 and somtimes it sounds all all cylenders completely missing, but at idle cyl 2 is missing, im getting spark, pump is new, filter replaced back in march. somone said a bad valve stem seal or the injector, i just don't want to mess up my new heads when i slap everything together.

2 and 3, Bolts broken off in side the P-side head from the valve cover.

4 Bolt broken inside the block from the timing cover

2 and 3 aren't to big a problem i can take them to a shop and get them taken out but how sohuld i go about dealing with #4?
Old 07-06-2008, 08:45 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Odds and ends on HCI

you have to get creative when trying to extract bolts.

those lifters *should* be ok, in my instance they wont be. i have too much spring pressure.
i bought Jay Allen's Blueprinted lifters, they were cheaper than comps, but the same quality or better.

hardened pushrods are needed when guidplates are on the head, if they werent hardened the pushrod would wear or bend from going up and down against the guideplate.

swap the #2 injector with another and see if the miss location changes with the injector move.
if you have spark, and fuel is working correctly, the only other thing is mechanical that can cause a problem. but yours is stock i belive, motor wise.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:33 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: 94StinkinLincoln

you have to get creative when trying to extract bolts.

those lifters *should* be ok, in my instance they wont be. i have too much spring pressure.
i bought Jay Allen's Blueprinted lifters, they were cheaper than comps, but the same quality or better.

hardened pushrods are needed when guidplates are on the head, if they werent hardened the pushrod would wear or bend from going up and down against the guideplate.

swap the #2 injector with another and see if the miss location changes with the injector move.
if you have spark, and fuel is working correctly, the only other thing is mechanical that can cause a problem. but yours is stock i belive, motor wise.
lifter should be fine...all jay allen blue printed lifters are ...are lifters with 2 small washers installed inside to keep bleed off to a min higher rpms...had a friend with a set and took one apart to look to see what size washers were used[8D]......as for bolt extraction try drill it out and retap if it can't be extracted but get the drill bit centered and use a punch to center it and drill slow
Old 07-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Alero99
3rd Gear Member

these are double springs, and im going to use a comp cam XE270HR-14 cam and i made a post about this and ppl said they have a very fast ramp rate and you need alot of seat pressure and i want to make sure OEM lifters can handle this
Old 07-06-2008, 12:49 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

they may not. might want to look into the comp lifters.

he told me he bought a bunch of the comp lifters wholesale and he modified them, not sure if there was more than just the shims, but hes waiting for the shims for mine right now.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:13 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

they may not. might want to look into the comp lifters.

he told me he bought a bunch of the comp lifters wholesale and he modified them, not sure if there was more than just the shims, but hes waiting for the shims for mine right now.
Lol my friends came in summit boxes and didn't look any different than my ford racing ones or the comp ones I have...apparently the same manufactorer does them all for the 3 companies
Old 07-06-2008, 05:19 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

the comp used the ford body with thier internals, jay hooks them up to work with the app. that you have. he said the comp link lifters are awsome, very very good but you pay the price. i opted for the blueprinted lifters and im confident they will work just fine.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:19 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

1.what cam is in there?

2.did the plug wires OR coil packget wet?

3.what is the timing doing when it misses(USING YOUR TIMING LIGHT).

4.is your ground strap on the drive head reconnected that you broke or removed/missing?

5. is the orange wire (o2 sensor ground) in place where you removed it from your intake or old heads?

Check that, the motor may just be fine.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:30 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

the comp used the ford body with thier internals, jay hooks them up to work with the app. that you have. he said the comp link lifters are awsome, very very good but you pay the price. i opted for the blueprinted lifters and im confident they will work just fine.
you'll be fine, Jay says the blueprinted ones are good up to 7k and a little beyond...my friend put them in his 347 and just ran it yesterday.....I did the assembly for him and install on the Jay Allen cam and I was impressed with the Lift at tdc accuracy of the Jay Allen grinds.....he said lift at tdc for the application we were installing was .0331 and it came in at .0330 now that's accuracy and in the dead heat yesterday my buddy ran 12.25 at 110.8 mph
Old 07-06-2008, 07:59 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

not bad, is that an auto car?
im going for the 11 flat 120mph range, it might take the tko to do it, but it will use have to wait a little time unless i can sell the auto now. i figure a tko would be better than a 5k stall lol

Quick Reply: Odds and ends on HCI