5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

bucking

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:50 PM
biglittleman

Default bucking

i have an 89 LX 5.0 5sp... alright im good as far as hands on and and fixin stuff i know where things go and how to pt them in and take em out but as for my problem yesterday my speedo broke so i removed the cable and disconnected the RPM plug (i believe it is) next to it the speed sensor is still in the trans...now for my prblem today i thaught id take the car for a spin around the block even tho i didnt have the cluster and pretty much had no dash at all and i left the plug unplugged and the speedo cable is removed from the car completely but it didnt matter i was just goin around the block...i start the car and it idles perfectly but wen i put the car in reverse and let the clutch out and apply gas it tends to kinda buck on me on acceleration..then wen i go into first and start to accelerate it bucks again then second lil bit of bucking nd finally third because im only in my neigborhood and it bucks a tinyyy bit more..sometimes if i accelerated hard in second it would buck reall bad...now wen i came to a stop sign i use shift my car into N to glide as a apply the brake to stop and somtime wen im gliding is stalls out or after about stopping for a second it stalls out idk wut the problem could be...wwater in the gas tank.....has brand new trans fluid was flushed put fresh fluid back in last week and havnt had a problem till today..is it missing a cylinder or somethn not sparking right idkkkk
Old 07-08-2008, 04:57 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

Default RE: bucking

if the cable is out of the car it shouldnt be holding the tranny fluid
but if it's motor related, check the fuel filter, plugs, wires, and maybe run some fuel system flush
Old 07-08-2008, 05:18 PM
biglittleman

no the trans fluid does not go past the speed sensor its pluggs the trans fluid from evading the transmission
Old 07-08-2008, 05:30 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

ummm... yes it does, i've done this MANY times, there should be a leak if there's any fluid in the tranny, but check everything else out anyway
Old 07-08-2008, 05:53 PM
biglittleman

theres enough fluid in the tranny i checked it out...and ths speedsensor doesnt seem to be leaking any trans fluid since it is sitting anyways..im waiting on the new speedo cable so hoefully that is the problem..does the tranny have to be like air tight to operate
Old 07-08-2008, 06:06 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

the sensor in the transmission is the vehicle speed sensor. The computer uses it to tell how fast you're going. I've had mine disconnected for over 3 years.

As for your problem, have you replaced any thing lately other than the speedo cable?

You could try just plugging the gauges back in, but leaving the speedo disconnected, although i'm about 98% sure the gauges don't complete any circuits dealing with sensor readings with the computer.
ORIGINAL: redpony88
ummm... yes it does, i've done this MANY times, there should be a leak if there's any fluid in the tranny, but check everything else out anyway
You may want to replace yours if it's leaking while it's plugged in. I, aswell as 4 of my friends have our's disconnected from the gauge, but still plugged into the transmission with no leaking problems at all. My transmission is still full.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:15 PM
notchbackmatt87
3rd Gear Member

the cable speedo cable has nothing to do with it im pretty shure look else where speaking of speedo cable mine ****ing snapped i gotta replace it.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:17 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

So you removed the cable before you got the new one in...... anyway, look in the engine bay for anything you may have knocked loose or disconnected, including vacuum lines while removing the speedo cable.

And I think redpony is talking about the speedometer cable and not the VSS sensor.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:30 PM
biglittleman

I have not put anything into it besides removing the speedo cable

ORIGINAL:brentloftis

So you removed the cable before you got the new one in...... anyway, look in the engine bay for anything you may have knocked loose or disconnected, including vacuum lines while removing the speedo cable.
the car isnt insured and registerd its just a project at the moment so it sits and if i do drive it its around the neigborhood sometimes jump on the highway thats y i removed the speedo cable to be ready for the new one i will recieve tommorow cuz the car sits mostly..and the cable isnt really near anything so i didnt knock anything out i know that for sure. but still the cable wasnt plugeed in and i still dont think that is the problem anyways..i could see maybe the plug being unplugged having somethn to do with it maybeee but not the speedo cable not being plugged into the speed sensor...but idk that for sure
Old 07-08-2008, 07:24 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FoxGT

ORIGINAL: redpony88
You may want to replace yours if it's leaking while it's plugged in. I, aswell as 4 of my friends have our's disconnected from the gauge, but still plugged into the transmission with no leaking problems at all. My transmission is still full.
not that it was on MY car, it's on 86whitepony's car. i'll let him know we need to replace it... his speedo cable broke and he pulled it out and while he was driving tranny fluid was coming out... and he had the vss in there just no cable.... thats just whats happened to a car i've worked on before.

anyway like i said just check out the plugs, wires, all that good stuff. also run some fuel flush through it since you said it sits you could also have all kinds of crap in the fuel filter if you hadn't changed it

Quick Reply: bucking