5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Making your own parts.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 07:54 PM
cholericfc
3rd Gear Member

Default Making your own parts.

Ford has discontinued their fuel lines... they nooooo longer make them.

Well, their original ones were made of nylon tubing, with rubber hosing over top of it, and Ford's quick disconnect fitting on each end....(I'm talking about the lines that run from the fuel pump to the fuel filter)..

SO, you need an "old school" tool to make the "magic" work = make the fitting FIT onto the nylon hose...

QUESTION::: IS it ok to have rubber hoses for fuel lines INSTEAD?????? so many other cars use it... all the heat underneath the hood and theirs plenty of rubber hoses up there....

what do u think?
Old 07-11-2008, 08:16 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Making your own parts.

I wouldn't use rubber hose for fuel line. Thats kind of hacking up the car. I'd check with your local part dealers and see what available aftermarket. Otherwise you could buy a complete fuel system with stock style lines. It would cost $200-$250 if you wanted to replace all the lines.

From the tank to the engine:
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...1&comp=LRS- Steel
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...1&comp=LRS- Stainless

Return lines:
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...1&comp=LRS- Steel
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...1&comp=LRS- Stainless
Old 07-11-2008, 09:13 PM
cholericfc
3rd Gear Member

how is it hacking up the car?

btw, I need JUST the two lines:

the one that goes from the external fuel pump to the fuel filter &&& the one that goes to another tube with 90degree fitting from the fuel pump......

THOSE KITS that you JUST listed.... are made by "Custom Tubes" and they are the ONLY provider of fuel lines for your fox body... u can also get them at mustangunlimited.com
Old 07-11-2008, 09:22 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Check with local part stores and see whats available. You'd be suprised what available from some aftermarketparts manufactures.You didn't list your vehicle so I assumed you had an 87 to 93 foxbody. If its a cfi car I would just remove the external pump, replace it with hard line and install a better in tank pump. Ican't remember the filter number off the top of my head but you can get a wix filter that threads into the 5/16 line so its easy to replace.Thats actaully a pretty common swap.

Cutting out lines and replacing it with rubber line is a hack job repair.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:23 PM
cholericfc
3rd Gear Member

i'm sorry.... it has an internal pump.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:24 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

call a salvage yard up and pirate some from a boneyard car
Old 07-11-2008, 10:26 PM
cholericfc
3rd Gear Member

i'd do it with NYLON... but you have to have special tool... I mean, other cars use it....... ac lines are rubber..... radiator hoses are rubber...... and theres more heat up there?
Old 07-11-2008, 10:45 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

My concern isn't the material but how it will be securedand where there located.Hoses clamps are ok for 20lbs of pressure but when your hooking it up to a efi fuel system you areseeing 40-50lbs of pressure. If one of those clamps was to fail they would spew fuel all over your exhaust making a major fire hazard. Also in cars that do use rubber lines it is normally over the engine and they have fittings on each end that will never come off unless cut off.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:22 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

You can use rubber hose, but make sure you get the high pressure. It's quite a bit thicker than regular hose. I have some on my car with over 40k miles on it. I have some on my turbo notch aswell, it sees 60psi fuel pressure under boost.

Make sure you get the rubber PAST the ring part then clamp after it so it can't slide past that.

I'm not recommending it, but I've had no problems with it in the least. I guess some of the other guys on here have had some bad issues with it... Whether they used high psi line or not i dunno. I'm also the type of person that will go the cheaper route if reliability isn't an issue & I personally don't care what people think about how good the lines on my fuel tank look when they climb under there to look at it. [&:]

Btw... if you go to the parts store, don't mistake "fuel line" for high pressure line. Most of the fuel line you see in the isles are for carburated where higher pressures wont be seen. If you're worried about clamps not holding You could get some tbolt clamps. I use them on the pressure side of the f/i kits I build where worm type hose clamps won't hold up. But keep in mind the reason they don't hold good in those situations is because of the diameter of the tubing that it has to hold. & unlike there, fuel lines/filter/pump bracket assembly have a decent size rib to grab on.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:22 AM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

Get Fuel hose from a auto parts store. Getting a regular nylon hose from a home depot or a ace hardware is asking for trouble. Also they can advise you on the hose to use at a autoparts store.
This post reminds me of a friends son that went out on his own to buy a used cheap car. He got the car form ebay from a local used car dealership. On the auction it said that It did need some TLC. Well it needed alot of TLC. It was a 4 cylinder ricer that was takin form a junkyard and put up for sale. Anyway the kid broke down trying to get it home and the friend asked me to go take a ride and take a quick look at it. This was around 11 or 12 at night. when i opened the hood I found a bunch of colant hose's replaced with nylon hose that was form a hardwarestore and were all leakin. It was to late to get the parts to fix it and to me looked to costly to even bother with the car cause it was such in horrible condition. we ended up runin to a walmart and getting some nylon hose and clamps and patched the hose's and rna it to there house. I was driving it while they were behind me.....think it smoked and steamed all the way lol...was fun beating on it getting it to there house. lol the next morning they called the used car place and demanded a refund and returned the car. they were lucky to get any money back.

Quick Reply: Making your own parts.