5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

ok so i finally got to drive first time in 3 weeks

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 10:01 PM
xjarhead1999
1st Gear Member

Default ok so i finally got to drive first time in 3 weeks

it took me about 3 weeks to get my exhaust all done. with my work schedule i wasnt able to work on it for a solid day like i wanted. only reason i cut everything out was because of my starter going out. long story but i had to sawzall my old setup out since someone wanted to weld from the headers to the tailpipes. anyway, i knew it was a restrictive setup and planned on replacing it anyway, just didnt want to do it now. but im glad i did. i used my old mufflers, well they were fairly new, just cut off the tailpipes(they were 2 inch pipes) and cut off from the homemade h-pipe that was installed. i went with mac headers and h-pipe(O/R of course) and had to use some flowtech starter tubes to get to the mufflers. i done everything myself except for the welding part, had to go to a friends shop to do that. wow what a difference those changes made. its a louder and more aggressive sound now.

anyway, while the parts were getting welded i was chatting with someone else that had a mustang there also. i was looking in under his hood and i noticed his tps was unpluged. i asked him about it and he said that someone had showed him once that it will better without it plugged up. told him id have to see it to believe it. so after i backed my car off the lift i took off the hood and then unpluged the tps. it ran rough then died. tried again and it would run like crap. told the guy he was crazy. he said to unhook battery for awhile so computer can reset itself. so i unhooked battery and we chatted for about half hour. hooked it back up and cranked the car. it acted funny at first, i guess the computer had to learn or something. anyway it cleared itself out and was idleing fine. now i thought my car ran fine before, it idled a little rough, but ran great after a few minutes. my car has ran a little rich since i bought it. i could smell some gas, not much. anyway i thought id drive it home without the tps hooked up. it drives like its a different car now. im getting better throttle response, not running as rich, and i have alot more power. its partially because of the exhaust and partly because of the tps. after hooking it back up it started running like it used to, so i took it back off and drove the rest of the day like that. i know my tps was set right and is in perfect working order so it cant be bad tps.

anything i need to worry about without running a tps? my mileage hasnt been effected, if anything its better now than it was before i done this.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:11 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

Default RE: ok so i finally got to drive first time in 3 weeks

I want to know more about this TPS too. I have been having problems with mine for a month now and i still cant fix it. I think im going to do what he did.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:25 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

hey xjarhead...it's been almost a month,and mine has been driving awsome....ussually when you unplug something
it means it's bad or faulty...........????????does your car run crappy all the time?..did u ever drive it with o2's unplugged?? remember your tps,and o2's, injector's,iac all work together you take one of them out of the mix
your computer will go into safe mode.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:26 PM
xjarhead1999
1st Gear Member

i didnt have a problem with mine, or at least i didnt think i did. the tps is a good sensor i know that. i dont know alot about mustangs yet, but it doesnt seem like it should run like it does with the tps unpluged. i thought i had good throttle response before, but now it goes as soon as i touch gas. there used to be like a half second delay and i thought that was normal.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:31 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

hmmmm??? need more back ground on this...maybe it is something to look into???arn't those tps extenders or
whatever just resistors???
Old 05-05-2005, 10:33 PM
xjarhead1999
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grabbem88

hey xjarhead...it's been almost a month,and mine has been driving awsome....ussually when you unplug something
it means it's bad or faulty...........????????does your car run crappy all the time?..did u ever drive it with o2's unplugged?? remember your tps,and o2's, injector's,iac all work together you take one of them out of the mix
the o2s are new, iac seems to work. when i unplug it the car acts a little funny. the car ran fine by my standards. it wouldnt die, it idled a little off, but thought that was because of the cam. it would bounce between about 950-1050 rpm idleing. i was able to adjust the tps and it helped it out alot. i had used a new tps and my old one. i thought my old one was bad but figured out it was me that was the problem on adjusting it.

then today i unplugged it and i dont know how to explain what i mean, but damn, i can tell a difference when its plugged in and when its not.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:34 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

no the o2 harness sorry my bad.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:34 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

That delay can be fixed by adjusting your TPS to a higher voltage. I personally woudn't run the car without the TPS plugged up. You do know your car was running rich...but that beats a car running lean. Who says your car isn't running really lean?

Also your exhust will help with throttle response too. Less restrictions means more response...I think you are just feeling your exhaust, and not your TPS unplugged
Old 05-05-2005, 10:57 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xjarhead1999

ORIGINAL: grabbem88

the o2s are new, iac seems to work. when i unplug it the car acts a little funny. the car ran fine by my standards. it wouldnt die, it idled a little off, but thought that was because of the cam. it would bounce between about 950-1050 rpm idleing. i was able to adjust the tps and it helped it out alot. i had used a new tps and my old one. i thought my old one was bad but figured out it was me that was the problem on adjusting it.

then today i unplugged it and i dont know how to explain what i mean, but damn, i can tell a difference when its plugged in and when its not.
have you tried driving the car with the TPS plugged up since you had the exhaust done? And if you have did it make a differnece with it unplugged and plugged?

Old 05-05-2005, 11:42 PM
xjarhead1999
1st Gear Member

yes ive driven plugged back in. i can tell alot of difference in it. it runs fine either way, its just that without the tps plugged in its runs stronger. as far as pure's suggestion i allready have it set to .98 im sure you guys think im crazy. id think the same thing if someone else said this.

Quick Reply: ok so i finally got to drive first time in 3 weeks