5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Someone Drained my rear-end w/o me knowing HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Pearlkobra12
2nd Gear Member

Default Someone Drained my rear-end w/o me knowing HELP

hey guys i go to wyotech. this is a car school (offical tech school of NHRA). Anyways i came home for lunchyesterday ate, came back out to the car. Drove to school. Got out of school and came back to my schools apartements. When i pulled into the apartment i heard a loud bang. It was like a frying pan being hit with a metal spoon. i pushed in the clutch and glided to my parking spot. I got out and looked at my rear end because thats where i heard the noise and i noticed a tiny bit of gear lube coming out. i pulled the cover and about 1/4 quart came out. i was puzzled because there was really no dripping. I looked where i had parked for lunch and noticed a huge puddle of rear end oil. so all i can figure is someone thought it'd be funny to drain my rear end. needless to say everything in my rear is trashed. it got way hot and my gears are purple along with everything else. the little bit of oil that came out was sparkly as hell and had chunks. so anyways it's time for a new rear end. The carwill start to be drag raced1-2 days a week at a local track so whatever goes back in needs to be able to be worry free and wit hold slicks. so i was thinkin a couple of different routes.
9 inch
-a foxbody bolt in 9"
-detroit locker
-31 spline axles
-3.73s
8.8 inch
-detroit locker
-31 spline axles
-3.73s

Basically over the next year or so i plan on building a stroked windsor. I need something that can take a beating and i was wondering what you guys think i should do. If im gonna dump money into somehting i want it to be strong. i do not wanna just go buy another 8.8 and have it break next week at the track. do it RIGHT the first time. Please help me pick out some good combos with brand names included. i wanna know the best route to go. Keep in mind im not going to go get some sheetmetal 9' and put 4grand into it (i'm paying $50,000 to be at school already so money is tight) i know pro 5.0 will have some good input along with adder. Please help me out cause I wanna RACE!!!! thanks guy iappreciate it
~nathan~
Old 07-12-2008, 10:57 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Someone Drained my rear-end w/o me knowing HELP

man thats some b.s. sorry to hear someone wanted to be an a$$ with something like that.... messed up.
but go with the 9 inch, those things are indestructible for the most part that is
why do you think all the chevy guys run them as well instead of their gm rear diffs?
Old 07-12-2008, 10:57 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

IMHO, 8.8 would be the way to go.
9's are strong but real high dollar even if you go the bolt-in 9"er.........
Old 07-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Pearlkobra12
2nd Gear Member

haha ya. we ran a 9" in our 777 hp drag car so ik they hold up.
i was kinda leaning toward the 9 because i really dont ever wanna put more money into it to beef it up. if i did the 8.8 it seems like it'd be like maybe 400 dollars cheaper because i woudl have to buy that cover has the bolts in them to make it stronger.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:03 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Depends on what you wanna spend...I'm running a factory (31 spline)trac-loc with carbon clutches and a thicker shim to tighten it up abit..31aftermarket axles ,,,rear end girdle...not bullet proof but a decent setup for the money...Heck ,,,,33 spline spool,,,(bolt in )axles and 1/2 stud kit with a girdle,,tubes welded,,,and a brace...nice setup......set of 9310 pro-gears......all out

Detroit Tru-Trac...really strong diff,....31 spline axles....and a rear end girdle ,tubes welded...should be fine....
Old 07-12-2008, 11:07 PM
Pearlkobra12
2nd Gear Member

just seems like if i go that far i should fork out the little extra cash and go with a 9'. to do all that to an 8.8 just seems like it is gonna cost about the same as a 9
Old 07-12-2008, 11:10 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

agreed, the 9 is a better diff, while the 8.8 is pretty good if you set them up right, the 9 will hold more all in all they are SOLID diffs and if i NEVER wanted to have to increase the strength on my diff again i'd just get the 9 and save the trouble of all the braces and what not for the 8.8
Old 07-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Pearlkobra12
2nd Gear Member

alright can anyone throw together some good combos for me?
Old 07-12-2008, 11:21 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pearlkobra12

just seems like if i go that far i should fork out the little extra cash and go with a 9'. to do all that to an 8.8 just seems like it is gonna cost about the same as a 9
Like I said..Its all in what you want to spend..all day long low 9 sec cars with 8.8's that are built..Mylast 9 was inmy tube chassis car ..Mark williams sheet metal housing ,,40 spline gun drilled axles,,Mark Williams aluminum center with big pinion...and about 5 g's....for alow 9 sec car...Great thing about a 9 is the fact that you can carry a spare center(incase you bust a gear ).swapp them out at the track...and continue to race...(done this a few times.)
Go big..go 9ner....

Old 07-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Pearlkobra12
2nd Gear Member

ya the drag car i ran had about the same rear end you described. i dont need anything that overkill. like i said i cant afford no sheetmetal housings haha. hell the rearend will cost more than my damn motor haha.

Quick Reply: Someone Drained my rear-end w/o me knowing HELP