5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

rattling under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Black89LX
2nd Gear Member

Default rattling under acceleration

this just started happening a few days ago... no matter how I accelerate there is a loud rattle coming from under the car... today when I started it in the garage it did it in parkalong with it being in gear. It does not do it in neutral so It definitely isn't the engine knocking.

my dad looked under the car when I put it in drive and revved it to 1100rpms, he couldn't spot where it was coming from (like a heat shield) but he thought maybe it was in the starter, does this sound right? I do have a rattle whenever I put it in park and I know that is a heat shield that is loose but this is a louder noise under acceleration mostly.

anyone have a similar problem? Thanks in advance,
addison
Old 07-15-2008, 11:11 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: rattling under acceleration

sounds like detonation, it will only do it under load, and not in neutral. start by checking your timing
Old 07-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Black89LX
2nd Gear Member

hmm... would it do it in reverse too? because it doesn't.

all I can say is that it sounds like it is coming from the back of the engine bay, towards the transmission when sitting in the car, and it almost sounds like its coming from the front when standing outside.[:@]
Old 07-16-2008, 09:55 AM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black89LX

hmm... would it do it in reverse too? because it doesn't.

all I can say is that it sounds like it is coming from the back of the engine bay, towards the transmission when sitting in the car, and it almost sounds like its coming from the front when standing outside.[:@]
You could have a leak where your headers connect to your midpipe(back of engine down low) I recently had one and it sounded alot like pinging.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:35 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

its probably your cats they are more than likely bad usually the crap breaks up inside causing a rattle or it could be your heat sheild it could be cracked and rattling like that, mine does the same exact thing. its damn right annoying!!!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:09 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

Hello again, i just fixed mine, it was my heatsheilds rip those mothers off!! My car was doing the exact same thing sounded like a soda can with bb's in it and someone shaking it around. any how its fixed just rip those off and report back tell me if it was your problem.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Black89LX
2nd Gear Member

well... my dad went under the stang again tonite but couldn't find a heat shield rattling, he got his stethoscope (spelling?) out and thinks its coming from inside the bellhousing[:'(]...great

idk about it though, I was kinda thinking the cats but it doesn't do it in neutral so WTF?!

thanks for your posts guys
Old 07-17-2008, 12:13 AM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

get a rubber mallot and bang on the cats, if you hear a rattle theres your problem its probably your heatsheilds.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:24 AM
1970coupe
3rd Gear Member

yeah, im having that same problem too. accept mine sounds more like something rattling in the rear end. almost like somethings vibrating or being kicked around. it only does it durring acceleration or when i really get on it. I hope its just exhaust, im replacingheaderback soon so hopefully it will solve the problem.... [&:]
Old 07-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Black89LX
2nd Gear Member

well, just an update...
my dad and I took the inspection plate off of the front of the bellhousing and cranked the engine over by hand to hear the rattle... we found out that the bendix on the starter would not retreat and it was causing the noise...

a trip to the auto store and new starter was put in andproblem solved

Quick Reply: rattling under acceleration