5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Drag Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 12:08 PM
lewistk
2nd Gear Member

Default Drag Car

Me and two of my friends are looking into buying a car just to build up and use solely on the track. we have heard that 90-93 5.0's are a popular choice and probably the best choice for us. we are looking for something that we can get parts for quite easilyand cheaply. we are all pretty new to the drag scene and just want to be pointed in the right direction. any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

p.s we all drive 1998+ mustangs and have no experience in 5.0's previously!

thanks
Old 07-16-2008, 03:59 PM
GaryBisiniere
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Drag Car

its expensive because youll always want to go faster.. i would just spend the money on ur 98+ make it a real fast street/strip car
put a turbo on it or something
Old 07-16-2008, 04:44 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

how fast are you talking ?

11's ?
8's ??

i agree it's the way to go, thats why i have had a few of them. very fun cars w/ tons of available parts

i would look for a roller thats been started, or a clean 4 cylinder car.
then either get a stock long block and stroke it, or look into a crate motor (lots on craigslist)
everything you need is out there, don't be in a rush, and look good at parts and have a plan going in

some extremely good deals on tubbed and caged rolling chassis cars w/ full interiors and super clean for under $2000 add a motor and trans and you'll run 11's for under $6000

Old 07-16-2008, 04:48 PM
86whitepony
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GaryBisiniere

its expensive because youll always want to go faster.. i would just spend the money on ur 98+ make it a real fast street/strip car
are you smoking crack? a fox would be a wayyyyyyy better choice for a drag car and since they want to make it only drag like they said. a s/s car would not even be on their mind.

anyways a 5.0 is a great drag car. at my local track about 65-75% of the cars are fox body's. defiantly get an lx notch you'll be saving some weight and you can fit just about any motor you want with the right parts into it. i know a guy who runs 8's with a 408 stroker plus 2 stages of nitrous. a fox is a great cheap easy car for drag. i'd say that most of the people who mod thier fox's get to the point where they are not streetible anymore and have to run at the track
Old 07-16-2008, 06:52 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 86whitepony

ORIGINAL: GaryBisiniere

are you smoking crack? a fox would be a wayyyyyyy better choice for a drag car and since they want to make it only drag like they said. a s/s car would not even be on their mind.

anyways a 5.0 is a great drag car. at my local track about 65-75% of the cars are fox body's. defiantly get an lx notch you'll be saving some weight and you can fit just about any motor you want with the right parts into it. i know a guy who runs 8's with a 408 stroker plus 2 stages of nitrous. a fox is a great cheap easy car for drag. i'd say that most of the people who mod thier fox's get to the point where they are not streetible anymore and have to run at the track
I agree 100% once you get the need for speed, and the feel of how much faster it went when you start modding it you will be hooked, I started small, and if I knew I was going to be at the point i am today, I would have just put in a big block stroker with some spray, a 9" rear and a chevy T-400 trans and run 9's all day long.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:54 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

a kid at work has a carb'd fox, tired 302 w/ a c6. hes gonna sell it for like 2k, its in mandeville, louisiana. i know it has a holly and a weiand intake.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:20 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

If you want to have fun at the track right away, and slowly build the car as you savefor upgrades, I would look for a running vehicle. Like stated before, a LX coupe/notch back would be preferable. You can run it at the track to get a baseline, and track the progress with every upgrade. You would be amazed what you can do with a stock motor and some suspension upgrades, along withshedding some weight. If you're on a budget, I wouldstart withstripping the car of all the crapyou don't need (ac, smog pump, rear seat, door panels, carpet, front bumper supports), install new gears, sticky tires, drag suspension, exhaust and then start modifying the motor. Just my opinion!
Old 07-16-2008, 07:23 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: lewistk

Me and two of my friends are looking into buying a car just to build up and use solely on the track. we have heard that 90-93 5.0's are a popular choice and probably the best choice for us. we are looking for something that we can get parts for quite easilyand cheaply. we are all pretty new to the drag scene and just want to be pointed in the right direction. any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

p.s we all drive 1998+ mustangs and have no experience in 5.0's previously!

thanks
Please post your threads in ONE section ONLY!! Multiple threads containing the same issue clutters up the site and is against the rules!

Thanks
Old 07-17-2008, 06:54 AM
lewistk
2nd Gear Member

ok thanks a lot guys. we are probably looking to run10 or 11 secondtimes. and with 3 of us, we can put a little more money into it than if we were doing it solo.

so i guess we couldspend about 5000 or 6000.
dont know if the times are realistic with how much we are looking to spend first off but any more info would be much appreciated.

thanks
Old 07-17-2008, 08:36 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

6k all motor wont get you 10's.
it takes suspension, motor, trans, and tires to get you 10's.

Quick Reply: Drag Car