5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

My GT went from running great to crap instantly

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 03:22 PM
88TTop
1st Gear Member

Default My GT went from running great to crap instantly

Last Saturday I drove it for over 300 miles. It ran great for the whole trip although when I arrived and let off the gas in the parking lot it wanted to stall. Still ran very well on the trip home but a friend who was driving behind me said when I got on it there was a strong smell of fuel. The car sat for the next five days. I took it to work Thursday, it ran well. When I started it to go home it ran horribly.Motor shook like it had a radical cam and alot of black smoke from the exhaust. I drove it home and while there was decent power, the car hesitated alot. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2008, 03:31 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: My GT went from running great to crap instantly

a sparkplug wire or 2 may have came off, but if theres a heavy fuel smell, pull all the plugs and replace them. thats a sign that only some of the plugs are firing.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:31 PM
1989LX

i could be wrong but sounds like a timing issue, maybe bad cam bearings, distributor gear, or timing chain. just my thoughts. hope this helps
Old 07-19-2008, 03:35 PM
88TTop
1st Gear Member

All the tune-up parts are new. Plug wires are secure. Checked to see if timing had jumped...it had not. As far as something internal I dont know. It has good power at WOT but it still hesitates and spews black smoke.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:37 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: 1989LX

i could be wrong but sounds like a timing issue, maybe bad cam bearings, distributor gear, or timing chain. just my thoughts. hope this helps
I doubt it! and bad cam bearings??/ wtf??.............anyway sounds like you have a misfire and not hitting on all cylinders....run a koer/cylinder balance test and see where the misfire is
Old 07-19-2008, 03:38 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: 88TTop

All the tune-up parts are new. Plug wires are secure. Checked to see if timing had jumped...it had not. As far as something internal I dont know. It has good power at WOT but it still hesitates and spews black smoke.
new as in what?? you just put them on to try and correct issue??? also check fuel pressure...if regulator is bad it may be pulling in excess fuel through a ruptured diaprahm and inturn this will mix with a/f and cause a excessive rich condition and foul plugs and then cause a misfire....pull vaccum line to regulator and make sure inside of vaccum hose is not wet with fuel
Old 07-19-2008, 03:43 PM
1989LX

^^^^....as in previous experiences with ford trucks on my grandpas 1ton w/400mit was bad cam bearings causing the dizzy gear to wear down and make timeing jump, on my own was same expeience with '82 302 was same problem, only reason i chimed in was due to the "black smoke" that is what caught my eye, both of my previous experiences involed black smoke. now that was with trucks so i could be off the whole page here but it was just a suggestion...i figured i would raise an eyebrow or too......i'll keep quiet next time.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:54 PM
88TTop
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

ORIGINAL: 88TTop

new as in what?? you just put them on to try and correct issue??? also check fuel pressure...if regulator is bad it may be pulling in excess fuel through a ruptured diaprahm and inturn this will mix with a/f and cause a excessive rich condition and foul plugs and then cause a misfire....pull vaccum line to regulator and make sure inside of vaccum hose is not wet with fuel
They are new parts before the problem..the fuel pressure is good...and the regulator is dry...thanks
Old 07-19-2008, 04:02 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

so if you are 100 percent positive all secondary and primary ignition components are good and fuel injection system is operating properly and you have performed a koer test and have no codes.... then do a compression test and see if all cyl are worthy of producing compression for cumbustion
Old 07-19-2008, 08:08 PM
88TTop
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1989LX

^^^^....as in previous experiences with ford trucks on my grandpas 1ton w/400mit was bad cam bearings causing the dizzy gear to wear down and make timeing jump, on my own was same expeience with '82 302 was same problem, only reason i chimed in was due to the "black smoke" that is what caught my eye, both of my previous experiences involed black smoke. now that was with trucks so i could be off the whole page here but it was just a suggestion...i figured i would raise an eyebrow or too......i'll keep quiet next time.
Any suggestions are welcome as I havent solved the problem. Thats why we come on here.

Quick Reply: My GT went from running great to crap instantly