5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Zirgo electric fans?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 12:30 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

Default Zirgo electric fans?

OK, I went to a huge car show today and i saw them in person. they were 16 inch and flowed 3300 CFM! i cant believe hwo cheap they were too. How is the qaulity? It will be going on a daily driver ( when its nice out obviously ) so it needs to serve me a long time. Then when the lady told me it had a lifetime warranty it pretty much sold me. im thinking about ordering one now. I have the older model flex a lite now, but i havent put it on yet. i really like how these are soo much thinner and compact. plus they ever flow better! Oh, and how do you hook them up? i see they have that 1 plug in and how do you hook it all up? also, if i get a thermostat for it, can i also run a manual switch? i would like it to turn on and off automatically when im driving it everyday. i was thinking about getting one of those painless switch panels to go under my ash tray door. is there some way to rig it so it will turn on and off automatically when i drive it on the street, but still be able to turn it on when the car is off, say like when im at the track? thanks in advance. I SURE APPRECIATE IT!!!!!
Old 05-09-2005, 03:12 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Zirgo electric fans?

This sounds awesome, I need a new fan BAD, but I'm not exactly sure how the electric ones hook up. Do you just take out all of you're old fan stuff and bolt the electric one up?
Old 05-09-2005, 03:15 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...an/index.shtml
Old 05-09-2005, 03:44 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Hm, bobby, wanting to have it run off a thermostat while the car is running and off a switch while the car is not running will make things a little complicated. But I'm pretty sure I have a solution. You'll actually need to splice two wires to the switch part of the relay. Here's what you do. One wire, hook it up to an activator wire, something that only comes on when the key is in the II position. I found one of the middle wires in the harness to the ignition coil to work perfect. Hook up the thermostat to that wire, so while the key is in the II position, there will be power going through it, but the thermostat will only allow that power to go to the relay if it's above a certain temperature. So when it's cool, it should turn off automatically.

Then with a second wire, tap directly into the positive terminal on your battery, and hook up a switch to that one. So you can use the switch to turn it on and off.

What that would do is if either the thermostat or the switch is on, the fan will be off, BOTH of them need to be off in order for the fan to turn off.

However, let me make a suggestion. Simply tap into the positive battery terminal and hook that up to a thermostat. What that would do is, after a long day's drive, when you turn off the car, and the engine is still hot, the thermostat will see this and keep your fan on until it cools down. This way you don't need to manually switch it on after you shut off your car to cool it down, it'll automatically do this everytime.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:02 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

THANKS! i found that if it just wire it up normally, with the thermostat, it will keep running as long as it need to whether that car is on or off. just like you said about wiring it. THANKS MAN!!!
Old 05-09-2005, 11:55 AM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

how much are they bobbo?