5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

EGR Valve and check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:24 PM
ExMan01

Default EGR Valve and check engine light

I get a check engine light at midrange rpm's. I took it to a shop and they said that i needed a new EGR valve. so i bought one at checker, put it on and it cured it for about a day, then check engine came back on. i took it back and they said that since i bought an aftermarket one, it's not set up right for the ford system. Now i know that OBD1 sucks but will buying a motorcraft egr with egr position sensor cure this? they also told me that i might want to contact trick flow and try and find an egr thru them since it's an aftermarket air intake and it takes in more air. I have a BBK cai, 75mm MAF, 70mm TB, and street heat intake.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:34 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: EGR Valve and check engine light

I doubt that is the issue..what you need to do is run the koer test yourself and provide us with a code number so we can see what part of the egr system is malfunctioning
Old 07-24-2008, 10:37 PM
ExMan01

alright, this will leave me open to adder, but how do i do that? do i need a code reader. if i do, could i just use the one at checker?

forgot to mention, the check engine light doesn't stay on all the time, just certain rpm's, above 2500. last time a guy at checker just hooked up my car to the reader and it revved my engine to 3500, and then i unplugged it.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:45 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

there are two types of tests your car's ecm can run = koeo and koer..koeo= key on engine off and this pulls all memory codes and a few actuator tests...koer = key on engine run in which the ecm bumps idle up and runs self tests and functional tests on various systems such as egr for example..and if any of the tests fail criteria..a code is flashed out to you
Old 07-24-2008, 10:47 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

here is a link:http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/
google DIY KOER and you'll get tons of results
Old 07-24-2008, 10:52 PM
ExMan01

thanks a lot man
Old 07-25-2008, 07:20 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ExMan01

I get a check engine light at midrange rpm's. I took it to a shop and they said that i needed a new EGR valve. so i bought one at checker, put it on and it cured it for about a day, then check engine came back on. i took it back and they said that since i bought an aftermarket one, it's not set up right for the ford system. Now i know that OBD1 sucks but will buying a motorcraft egr with egr position sensor cure this? they also told me that i might want to contact trick flow and try and find an egr thru them since it's an aftermarket air intake and it takes in more air. I have a BBK cai, 75mm MAF, 70mm TB, and street heat intake.
What a bunch of misinformation from that shop, love the "might want to contact trick flow and try and find an egr thru them since it's an aftermarket air intake and it takes in more air" BS part........ however, they are not responsible for the results afterwards, because they didn't perform the repair.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:51 AM
ExMan01

yeah, tell me about it. i don't know a lot, but it sounded kind of funny to me. after work today i'm going to checker to try and use their code reader, i didn't know that it idles up your car to run diagnostics, scared the **** out of me, so naturally i unplugged it, i thought my car was the next christine
Old 07-25-2008, 12:37 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

yes ^^^that's the case when running a koer test it bumps the idle up to run a system test on THE IAC motor and so it won't stall out when running the egr test and cylinder balance test and other such tests....don't get scared..ecm will return idle back to normal when test is done
Old 07-25-2008, 03:26 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

I just deleted my egr...$40 and about 20 minutes...gone.

Quick Reply: EGR Valve and check engine light