5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Carb Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:11 PM
Dazzalad
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Carb Question

If you plan to run your car up and down the strip more than anything else, get a Holley. You will get very good performance but you will spend as much time tinkering with it as driving.

If you want a good carb that is 100% right out of the box that you will never have to adjust, the get a Edelbrock 600 with elec choke. Well, you will have to set the idle mix screws but that takes a whole 8 seconds.

I have had a Edelbrock 600 on my Mustang since 1996 and I have never had to touch it. It gives me plenty of "go" as a D/D street car.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:15 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

any carb that is "right" directly outta the box really isnt "right" at all. every engine combination is different, and requires different settings.

while holleys may take a little more effort to dial in, once they ARE dialed in they do not need to be tinkered with at all. plus, when you do get it dialed in it will perform much better than an edelbrock
Old 07-31-2008, 08:29 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

IMHO, if the engine is a stock 302, use a 600 Holley, can't miss...........
Old 07-31-2008, 08:40 PM
Dazzalad
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

any carb that is "right" directly outta the box really isnt "right" at all. every engine combination is different, and requires different settings.

while holleys may take a little more effort to dial in, once they ARE dialed in they do not need to be tinkered with at all. plus, when you do get it dialed in it will perform much better than an edelbrock

That is all well and good if what you are trying to dois get every little bit of performance out of a carb for racing. Yeah I agree.. There are many people who would be satisfied with a carb that performs well on the street and requires no "tinkering". If the carb (right out of the box) does not run LEAN and does not run FAT then it is operating correctly. Is it perfect or is it giving you all that is possible in the world? no. Its more about what the application is and will it support the engine that is sits atop.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:17 PM
87Stallion
3rd Gear Member

Damn I started a war. Thanks for all the input guys. My car is definately not a DD. I will probably just go with a Holley.

Hey Dazzalad how do you like those Thumper Heads?

[hr]

Old 07-31-2008, 11:41 PM
DriftingRz
2nd Gear Member

definately get a holley, my last 88coupe was a 4cyl conversion car, and came with a edelbrock on it, i hated it, cant tune the things for ****, with holleys you can change the jets and all kinds of stuff once you figure out how to tune them, depending on how your driving, if you wanna do a lil better on gas, or when you get to the drag strip pop in another of jets for optimum power.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:21 PM
87Stallion
3rd Gear Member

I went and got the Holley 4BBL 670 Street Avenger carb.

Looks like a good carb. It was pricey though. Thanks for all the help guys. Now I just got to figure all the wiring out since Im switching from EFI.

[hr]

Old 08-01-2008, 03:45 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: holyshift

Dude Holley FTW, Easiest to tune, and cheaper than a demon or quickfuel.
Absolutelywrong when you say the Holley is easiest to tune.The Demon iseasier to tune than the Holley. I've owned several of each brand. The Demon does cost more.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:30 PM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

Well my broke a$$ cant afford a demon....lol so for me a Holley is the easiest to tune....
Old 08-02-2008, 06:54 PM
87Stallion
3rd Gear Member

Well I have the new intake on the car. Man thats alot of wiring harness to remove. Looks better already.

[hr]

Quick Reply: Carb Question