5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

LONGTUBE HEADERS

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:42 AM
pssssst

Default LONGTUBE HEADERS

is there any benefit to longtube headers? whats the difference between stock, shorty, or longtubes? thanks guys!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:27 AM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

Default RE: LONGTUBE HEADERS

longtubes: harder to install than unequal shorties, look bad ***, sound bad ***, more power especially at top end
shorties/unequal: ugly, sound almost stock, not as much power gain
shorties/equal: REALLY ugly, hard to install, tiny power gain over unequal shorties
Old 08-04-2008, 01:08 PM
mftech

I LOVE LONG TUBES!!! DO IT DO IT DO IT!!! i got my set of BBK Long Tubes, Wasnt TOO difficult to install. with the proper tools i got them in FAST! only thing is, they are hard to work around.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:03 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: nseoi

longtubes: harder to install than unequal shorties, look bad ***, sound bad ***, more power especially at top end
shorties/unequal: ugly, sound almost stock, not as much power gain
shorties/equal: REALLY ugly, hard to install, tiny power gain over unequal shorties
[&:]
Old 08-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Milton
3rd Gear Member

Long tubes give more top end power. Shorties are shaped to match up to the stock mid pipe. If you dont already have a midpipe id go with longtubes and a short midpipe at the same time(if its in the budget).
thats what i wish i would have done.... but i have no complaints with my shorties
Old 08-04-2008, 03:20 PM
hayden
2nd Gear Member

i would definetly go with longtubes, little frustrating unless you have a lift you can put the car on!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 03:34 PM
redtxlx
1st Gear Member

longtubes ftw, theyre not that bad to install. make sure you take your spark plugs out unless ouy wanna buy new ones...[:@]
Old 08-04-2008, 06:19 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

i just did it last night... pros and cons:
1. LT's require a a special midpipe
2. LT setups cost more
3. they are harder to get in, if you dont have it all the way down to the short block, dont waste your time, i dont see how it can be done with the heads on, its very tight.

pro's
1. i have been told they sound better, i havent had side by side comparison to listen to.
2. they flow better
3. they do look cool, but im more for actual function.

if you get shorties, get equal lengths, they dont burn plug wires, i never had a problem.
they are much easier to install and remove.

its personal preference, if you can deal with the time it takes to R&R and the price, go with LT's imo.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:51 PM
pssssst

cool thanks for the input... i am building a 347 from the block up so putting the longtubes on shouldnt be a problem a far as installing and after everybodys opinion it looks like thats what i'll be doing
Old 08-04-2008, 09:20 PM
LX 90
3rd Gear Member

Longtube wont give you a big horsepower gain. In fact the horspower gain is basically equal to shorie headers. The big difference, other then the sound an looks is your torque curve. You gain about 15 ft lbs and instead of an arched torque curve its allmost a sraight line and you are danm near your max torque at about 2500 RPM

Quick Reply: LONGTUBE HEADERS