5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Valvetrain Noise . Indication to problem? Normal? Do i need new rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:06 PM
mftech

Default Valvetrain Noise . Indication to problem? Normal? Do i need new rockers?

Hey All. id like everyones expert advice here. even if you think it doesnt make sense ust tell mewhat you think.

Ok heres thescope. I am getting ASLOT fo valvetrain noise throughout entire RPM range. To my ear it sound sliek roller rocker noise. as if it it tapping on the top of the valve, but it could as easily be the pushrods rattling into the rocker then the lifter. its a steady tapping at idle and it rattles up and down as i rev. its a 347 stroker with 1.6 rockers, comp cams cam pusrohds and doubled up springs. i got a lift of .575 .565. comp cam performer 282. Aluminum rockers, full roller fulcrums. are my vavles too short? can the rockers be loose, coudl my pushrods be short. combination of all? Can my timing be off and I am hearing timing issue?
Old 08-05-2008, 12:44 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default RE: Valvetrain Noise . Indication to problem? Normal? Do i need new rockers?

when you pull a valve cover did any of your rockers fall off/ any of your pushrods loose?
Old 08-05-2008, 03:07 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Valvetrain Noise . Indication to problem? Normal? Do i need new rockers?

did you use the comp cams 7826 pushrods?
Old 08-05-2008, 03:39 PM
mftech

Yes I did remove them and no there were not any loose or broken rockers. pusrods were loose only a tiny bit during one of the phase and only enough to turn it by hand slightly.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:14 PM
mftech

yes i did purchase those pushrods. went in smoothly.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:17 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

having a loose pushrod can cause a slap/tick noise as far as i understand. is that what you're hearing? did you try the TDC method for setting your rockers?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:31 PM
mftech

to be TOTALLY honest. I am very unfamiliar and i didnt do it to the rockers TDC method. Is there a way of doing it correcrtly listed in a step by step online somewhere? other then bad knocking can that cause any future problems on a race motor?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:40 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: mftech

yes i did purchase those pushrods. went in smoothly.
pull them out and throw them in the garbage... I can GUARANTEE you that they are bent, The 7826 pushrods are mild steel, and will flex while the engine is running. you need to buy a set of chromemoly pushrods
Old 08-05-2008, 04:41 PM
mftech

just fyi these are pedestal mount NOT stud mount. if it makes any difference
Old 08-05-2008, 04:44 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: mftech

just fyi these are pedestal mount NOT stud mount. if it makes any difference
please see my previous post

Quick Reply: Valvetrain Noise . Indication to problem? Normal? Do i need new rockers?