5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1985 throttle body replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 1985 throttle body replacement

convert the unit to a carb, a nice 650 cfm holley will do the trick...

the 3.8 that used to be in my '86 was CFI... and it was crap...

as far as I know, you'll need a new intake manifold Edelbrock performer dual plane intake will work, the carb and ditch the wiring to the CFI
Old 08-09-2008, 01:32 PM
nightcrawler52
2nd Gear Member

well thats not my option. i just need to rebuid it.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:50 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: nightcrawler52

well thats not my option. i just need to rebuid it.
no... you need to throw that POS in the garbage
Old 08-09-2008, 02:00 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

you really are wasting your time with the cfi crap. you will be much better off swapping over to a carb set up than that stuff. as for parts for it i dont even know if they still sell rebuild stuff for it so you just might have to swap to carb
Old 08-09-2008, 02:23 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

not everyone has the option and or money or know how to do the conversion so in most cases a rebuild is most practical...to the OP what do you need to rebuilds on the unit and why do you think it needs a rebuild?? what is the problem??
Old 08-09-2008, 02:35 PM
nightcrawler52
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

not everyone has the option and or money or know how to do the conversion so in most cases a rebuild is most practical...to the OP what do you need to rebuilds on the unit and why do you think it needs a rebuild?? what is the problem??
alright someone understands me,
this car is actully my friends that doesnt have money to spend on a whole carb swap. well we took it to an auto shop and they said there computer was saying that the egr wasnt even working, and that they need to rebuild the throttle body(or what ever that thing is) saying it only burns half the fuel that is put in the motor. so i was thinking of just getting the new unit and egr.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:43 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

its only burning half the fuel its injecting into the engine? that doesnt mean the tb is bad and how do they know this? did they do a 5 gas analysis on the car to judge how bad it is? burning only half the fuel sounds more of an engine issue itself unless this thing is just dumping way to much fuel in the engine
Old 08-09-2008, 02:48 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: nightcrawler52

ORIGINAL: mjr46

alright someone understands me,
this car is actully my friends that doesnt have money to spend on a whole carb swap. well we took it to an auto shop and they said there computer was saying that the egr wasnt even working, and that they need to rebuild the throttle body(or what ever that thing is) saying it only burns half the fuel that is put in the motor. so i was thinking of just getting the new unit and egr.
holy crap!! wtf??? talk about a shop blowing smoke up someones ace!!! the throttle body unit on that car which is cfi will have nothing to do with an inoperative egr.....nor does "it only burns half the fuel make any sense!! that's pure BS now if one injector were plugged up car would run really rough.......anyway, sound slike that shop has no clue on trouble shooting the prob and rebuild of the TB unit will not fix egr...I'd have to know the code to see if it were the evp sensor that is malfuctiuoning or if it were a egr malfunction code/ inoper evr selonoid or valve itself.......now under the TB unit is a base plate /spacerplate to which the egr is attached to on 84/85 cfi models.. if the port through which ehaust gases flow up through intaje crossovers is plugged with carbon then that'd cause an inoper egr system but evident when vaccum applied to valve and car won't run rough would indicate such problem as long as valve is operational
Old 08-09-2008, 03:10 PM
nightcrawler52
2nd Gear Member

wow. ill try to get the codes from them and figure this out. this shop is called honest auto but they dont seem so honest. they said the distributor cap needed to be replaced but we replaced it before we took it in. they also said the plugs needed to be changed when they have less then 10 miles on them. ahh we need to get that car out of there.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:14 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

It may not be the fact that they are dishonest..more so that whomever is working on the car doesn't have a clue about theroy and operation of the system so they are just throwing parts at it..and unfortunately it sounds like the wrong parts

Quick Reply: 1985 throttle body replacement