5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Car Has no power under load

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 05:41 PM
SaleenSpeed

Default Car Has no power under load

Ok. I've been trying to straighten my car out for over three months now and I am starting to run out of ideas. The car has no power in gear when you put the throttle down. here's what I've done/replaced so far:

Headers and exhaust replaced (took stock stuff back off after passing smog, thinking the cats might have been plugged)
fuel pump replaced (255 lb Walbro)
Swapped Fuel Pressure Reg. (PITA)
BAR(bar sensor) sensor - this one was confusing because I have a line coming out of my upper intake with a bolt in it, that should run to the MAP sensor, but I learned that Mass Air cars dont use that, the use the BAR sensor with no line off the intake, but why would my car have a line there
if it wasnt used?

cleaned Idle Air Controller
New MAF sensor
cleaned 10 pin salt/pepper shakers
New TPS Sensor but I havent tested its voltage yet, the old one was checking in around 1.4v, not the normal .98
New Coil - this helped a lot, smoothed out my rolling idle and made my revs sweep cleanly again. But the car still runs like crap under load
Fuel Pressure checked at around 40 psi which makes me think I might have a vacuum leak but I've checked every thing.
Fixed leak in PCV valve to canister line
New TFI Module and Stator, Ford told me that was the problem after misdiagnosing my car[>:]
Put new 19lb injectors in last night, still no dice.

Today we're gonna do a compression test and bump up the timing from the stock 10. I've got an E-cam btw, in an '89 LX mustang that is otherwise stock engine wise. Any ideas?
Old 05-15-2005, 05:50 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Car Has no power under load

maybe a vaccume leak?
Old 05-15-2005, 05:54 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

what about a new fuel filter?..weak coil?
Old 05-15-2005, 06:18 PM
SaleenSpeed

Ah I forgot to mention, we've put in a new fuel filter before doing the pump. And it's got a new cap, semi new rotor and new wires. also, we just ran a fuel pressure test again after doing the injectors and reinstalling the upper manifold last night and the psi's down around 30-31. Which tells me any vacuum leak I might of had making it stay at 40psi has been fixed. Also timings up to 14 degrees right now.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:23 PM
88mustanglx
2nd Gear Member

my car kinda does that in 1st and 2nd it seems if i take off from a dead stop. Unless i have my rpms at like 3 or more while driving my car wont take off to quick. Is that the kinda problem your having to?
Old 05-15-2005, 06:50 PM
SaleenSpeed

Well I have a hell of a time getting it over 3,000 rpms period when in any gear. It can rev fine out of gear though. Does seem like the throttle response is slow but it just doesnt want to pick up rpms when in gear, and I don't think its a fuel issue anymore. We're gonna throw in the o2 sensors I bought and check out the sensor harness. but I am not getting a check engine light so I doubt the o2's are to blame.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:55 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

check codes before laying down 100 for the 02's...also you can clean the old ones.....is this and auto?
Old 05-15-2005, 08:05 PM
SaleenSpeed

well I've already laid down the 100 for o2's. whats weird is when I disconnected the origional o2 connectors and started the car, I still didnt get a check engine light. would I be getting codes even if the engine light isn't coming on?
Old 05-15-2005, 10:07 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88mustanglx

my car kinda does that in 1st and 2nd it seems if i take off from a dead stop. Unless i have my rpms at like 3 or more while driving my car wont take off to quick. Is that the kinda problem your having to?
Stock and slightly modded stangs will do this anyway....
Old 05-15-2005, 10:12 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

drive the car for awile they will come on you was probably still in closed loop??
i drove my car along time with it unplugged till i found a new harness..
ORIGINAL: SaleenSpeed

well I've already laid down the 100 for o2's. whats weird is when I disconnected the origional o2 connectors and started the car, I still didnt get a check engine light. would I be getting codes even if the engine light isn't coming on?

Quick Reply: Car Has no power under load