5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

bright lights and wipers stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 03:18 PM
89gtdomhaver

Default bright lights and wipers stopped working

hey guys it's been a while since i've been on. just moved. i have a problem. my brights and windshield wipers went out at the same time the brights work if i hold the switch the opposite way. i replaced the switch and the didn't work. is this unusual or what?
Old 09-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

check fuses....
Old 09-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 89gtdomhaver
hey guys it's been a while since i've been on. just moved. i have a problem. my brights and windshield wipers went out at the same time the brights work if i hold the switch the opposite way. i replaced the switch and the didn't work. is this unusual or what?
I have the same exact problem. I replaced the switch with a junkyard one, and it didn't work. I figured "well, the new switch is just bad", and I found another junkyard switch. Still dead. I took it to a mechanic, and he said that the switches are dead, and that he jumped the wiper motor and it works. I say bullsh__. What are the odds that the switch on my car would die, then I'd buy 2 dead switches in a row? Has this happened to anyone else other than us? I've been using Rainex for months.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by timspony
check fuses....
Man, that's the first thing I checked. LOL!
Old 09-12-2008, 07:10 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Project 5.GO!
I Still dead. I took it to a mechanic, and he said that the switches are dead, and that he jumped the wiper motor and it works. I say bullsh__.
you gotta be kidding me right???......tell me that mechanic didn't make a diagnosis on performing that one test??? if so you need to find a technician not mechanic..there is a difference ya' know..lol...first thing I'd do is grab a wiring diagram and see what components are in the system and go point to point verifying my power and ground transitions in the circuit and see where the loss is tell your mechanic that I told him to do that and if he needs help I 'll be more than willing to show him how to troubleshoot properly
Old 09-15-2008, 07:14 AM
89gtdomhaver

yeah rain -x is my friend. do you think it could be a relay?
Old 09-15-2008, 07:50 AM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
you gotta be kidding me right???......tell me that mechanic didn't make a diagnosis on performing that one test??? if so you need to find a technician not mechanic..there is a difference ya' know..lol...first thing I'd do is grab a wiring diagram and see what components are in the system and go point to point verifying my power and ground transitions in the circuit and see where the loss is tell your mechanic that I told him to do that and if he needs help I 'll be more than willing to show him how to troubleshoot properly
To be fair, I was overly-simplifying things. He did more than that one test. Before I left the shop, they had diagrams out. I didn't stick around to see the entire procedure, but when I came back, the mechanic told me that the switch was bad.

That was the second switch I had in the car that I bought on ebay. The third switch I pulled at the junkyard and put in after the mechanic told me that the switch was bad. I suppose that it is POSSIBLE that all three switches were bad, but it's just not likely.

Which of the 3 plastic wire terminals that plug into the switch controls the wipers? Anyone have any ideas on where the problem lies?
Old 09-15-2008, 08:42 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

sounds like they they havn't fully troubleshot the system...I'll look at the diagrams I have when I get a second
Old 09-15-2008, 09:34 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

this system is fairly simple and with a test light you can eliminate all to the switch, to test the switch you'd need an ohmeter...to the switch and with the key in the run position do the wipers work in high speed?? if not unplug the connector and check for power on the red wire..if it has none check position 2 in the fuse box for the 8.25 amp circuit breaker, it'll be silver in color....if you have power on the red plug connector back into switch and with switch on the high position check for power on the DB/O WIRE = to motor= should have power = if none = bad switch, = replace and retest, ..this is the easiest way to eliminate all components minus switch, as a last test make sure the ground is good by putting test light on 12 v b+ and un plug motor connector and touch test light to ground wire = black wire = test light should light up, if all tests theway I explained go buy a known good switch and replace and retest
Old 09-15-2008, 09:36 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

PS the low speed wiper operation and intermitent goes through an interval governor located under dash but if high speed operation doesn't work also don't worry about interval governor at this moment in time

Quick Reply: bright lights and wipers stopped working