5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Location of under hood fuses

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 10:41 AM
tmuti13
1st Gear Member

OK, I get it now. Thanks guys. I guess this is an older technology. I will have to replace one of the wires then. I'll try to check it out this afternoon. i appreciate your help.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:53 AM
tmuti13
1st Gear Member

my final question...Do you know which fusable link is the one that controls power to the radio?
Old 09-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tmuti13
my final question...Do you know which fusable link is the one that controls power to the radio?
Power for the radio is routed through the ignition switch and the underdash fuse panel, if you have power at the corresponding fuses..... the problem is either in the wiring or the radio/amplifier units.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:21 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

If that was the problem you should have just asked in the first place.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:40 PM
tmuti13
1st Gear Member

hey projector, did you read my first post?
Old 09-20-2008, 12:18 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Lol my bad man, I didn't get to the installing part before I decided to post. Have you figured out the problem yet? I take it the main power wire isn't getting any power? Have you gotten a multimeter and checked for voltage at the power wires? Like stated before radio power comes from the fuse box so if that fuse is good and you do not have power thru the wire then the problem lies between the fuse box and the radio. Obviously if you have power to the wires at the radio and it still doesn't work you have a screwed up radio.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:38 AM
tmuti13
1st Gear Member

no prob, I appreciate the help. Here's the deal. The guy at best buy tested the power at the radio and saw that there was power at the red wire, but none at the yellow. I believe he said that was alternating power? My under dash fuses are all good. So he told me it was the under hood fuse that must be bad. I took a multimeter to the fusable links and the two red wires were reading around 12V. So I'm thinking it may be one of the other two links. But, I wasn't able to get my meter on them. I'm guessing that I'll just have to disconnect everything to test them? Another funny thing I noticed is not my power mirrors don't work - wondering if they are possibly connected to the same fusable link?
Old 09-20-2008, 09:17 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

The fusible links don't connect to all the little things like normal fuses. If one goes out more than just your mirrors and radio will stop working so I doubt it is that. Just run another wire to a key on source(I think thats the yellow wire) and you will be set. I rewired my whole stereo wiring with new wire. Speakers and all. If your power mirrors don't work its possible the switch is bad. They are not the best ones around. My brother has had 2 burn out in 2 different cars.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tmuti13
no prob, I appreciate the help. Here's the deal. The guy at best buy tested the power at the radio and saw that there was power at the red wire, but none at the yellow. I believe he said that was alternating power? My under dash fuses are all good. So he told me it was the under hood fuse that must be bad. I took a multimeter to the fusable links and the two red wires were reading around 12V. So I'm thinking it may be one of the other two links. But, I wasn't able to get my meter on them. I'm guessing that I'll just have to disconnect everything to test them? Another funny thing I noticed is not my power mirrors don't work - wondering if they are possibly connected to the same fusable link?
How can he tell you if that is a power source wire and its source location when he doesn't know what components apply to your model car?

The following diagram shows the power sources for the IGN ON power source and the radio memory (always hot) source..... all of them are sourced from the underdash fuse box.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:59 AM
Faust Hernandez

Mines has no power at all, I'm restoring it for my younger sister, already know the battery cables are shot and I'm buying the starter solenoid but I can't read those diagrams to know where the cables go.

Quick Reply: Location of under hood fuses