5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

wheel hops like a MOFO after lower control arm install

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 01:09 AM
Ronin5.O

Default wheel hops like a **** after lower control arm install

Alright so i just finished installing the lower rear control arms to get rid of those pos stockers. while in there i also removed the "quadra-shocks" and the rear sway bar in search of better traction. I love the way it handles now, plus i can launch it from 4k on the street which totally kicks ***.

HOWEVER, i have to slip the clutch now to keep it from wheel hopping uncontrollably! All my mods are in my sig, and i am currently running the 255 BFG drag radials out back. Do you guys think it has something to do with removing the "quadra-shocks", sway bar, or not having the boxed upper control arms too? what can i do to keep it from hopping? THANKS!!!
Old 09-19-2008, 01:19 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

So what kind of lowers did you put on and I assume you left the uppers unchanged?
Yeah, put the quad shocks back on.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:55 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

god damn, put the rear sway bar back on like now

if the quad shocks will fit w. ur tire, put them on too, they wont hurt, only help

sounds like too sticky of a tire and not enough suspension

if putting those 2 things back on doesnt help, look into stiffer rear springs... .or just realize that w. ur set up now 4k launches arent gonna happen
Old 09-19-2008, 04:56 AM
Ronin5.O

actually removing the rear sway bar usually on a tail happy car (my mustang for sure) is better for handling, Its a common autocross thing. Ill be sure to put the quad shocks back on, according to the directions that came with the control arms said to leave them off for better traction, and the thing sure does wanna hook but it just wheel tops too bad. thanks guys! ill let you know how it goes! do you guys think that the uppers will help a lot?
Old 09-19-2008, 07:50 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Put the rear sway bar back on. What brand control arms did you get? Some brands have too stiff of bushings and that causes the wheel hop due to binding.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:33 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

check your pinion angle. bet you, you're at less than 2*...but if you're between 2-6* then you need stiffer springs to keep yourself planted. its possible the swap of lower without doing the uppers threw your pinion angle out of spec.

also...put the sway bar back on.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:40 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

did you tighten down the control arms with the car in the air? if so, thats your problem.
control arms, no matter what make/model, are supposed to be tightened down with the car supporting its own weight, so you dont twist the bushings.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
check your pinion angle. bet you, you're at less than 2*...but if you're between 2-6* then you need stiffer springs to keep yourself planted. its possible the swap of lower without doing the uppers threw your pinion angle out of spec.

also...put the sway bar back on.
This is very likely the problem. Which is why you should have adjustable uppers when you put the solid lowers in. And put the sway bar back on. After you install the uppers, get an angle finder, and set the pinion angle.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Ronin5.O

Alright so i put the quad shocks back on and the rear sway bar and everything is all better! the car no longer wheel hops so i can launch from 4k now with no problems! I went to the track this last Saturday night and beat a couple C6 vettes, a GTO with the ls2 and the SLP 421 package, an Aston Martin V8 Vantage, and a boatload of modded EVO's. Thanks guys for all your help!
Old 09-22-2008, 04:44 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i dont buy it...i just looked at your mods....you have no mods really....i think you could run a 13 max

the only real mods you have is drag radials, gears and 100 shot. there is no way you're whoopin on ls2's running a 13 at a track...i want to see a video or your time slips

Last edited by FivePointOhh; 09-22-2008 at 04:53 PM.

Quick Reply: wheel hops like a MOFO after lower control arm install