5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New here...possibly seeking turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 05:57 PM
schuman

Default New here...possibly seeking turbo build

Hey guys im pretty much new here to the forums along with the mustang scene in general.... i currently own an srt-4 and am at the point where i want to sell it and move on to another project.... i been thinking about a possible turbo 5.0 build for a while....considering it seems pretty cheap and easy from what i researched.... just looking for some opinions to see overall the difficulty and outcome of a stock block turbo setup would be (stock block for now) also what types of setups you guys run and what power they put out with reliability..... thanks... i really appreciate it

Last edited by schuman; 09-27-2008 at 06:01 PM. Reason: addon
Old 09-27-2008, 06:26 PM
schuman

bumppppppppppppp
Old 09-28-2008, 01:56 AM
schuman

bumppppppp
Old 09-28-2008, 06:13 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

parts for the 5.0 are every where and easy to get used. The stock block for the most part is good for around 500HP there are some freaks out there that take alot more. there are a few people making turbo kits for them so that helps out unless you want to make your own. its just like any other hot rod you gone to work on it and dont think everything is gone to fit right and all will go well at all times. dont forget these car have a few years on them now and thing are gone bad. But they have a Cult following so there are lots well informed people to help you also if you hit a hard spot. welcome to the site.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:53 AM
schuman

thanks... yea i have a good buddy of mine who owns Valley Performance in New Jersey where i`d get the job done... just looking for a clean fox now .... what are the more popular turbo kits/setups you guys do on here? i`ve seen t67s,t70s, and a few others.... thanks
Old 09-29-2008, 03:14 AM
Hung Like a Stang
4th Gear Member

If I had the money, I would start with at the very least, a mexican block, Do whatever you want with the internals, usually the block blows before the stock rotating assy. does anyway.

As everyone says, stock blocks are good for 500-550rwhp if you're lucky. you can run a main girdle, I did. Some say it does nothing, some insist it keeps the main caps stable, keeps crank from walking at higher rpm. I tend agree with them.

Bad a/f, and high rpm is what kills blocks and rotating assy. So i'd get a good tune, and also make sure you have adequate injectors, fuel pump, and fuel rails. Standard rule, stock block, stock rails. Should you go mexican or aftermarket block I'd go sumped tank with braided line, to aftermarket rails.

Don't run a t5...

I'd run moderate compression 10:1 and lower

I'd run as free of flowing heads and intake as I could find to keep boost numbers low while still flowing craploads of air.

Make sure your block deck, and your head deck are as true as possible, run a damn good head gasket with head studs.

Run big exhaust with little to no restriction.

You don't want a ridiculous LSA on the cam, while it lowers dynamic cr. numbers, you're also blowing boost out the exhaust.

I'd say t70 is one of the more common turbo builds like you said, lots of companies make kits if thats the route you want to go.

I'd say if you kept cr. numbers low, kept boost numbers low while still flowing air, kept rpm at a decent level, and tuned it. You could run 500rwhp reliably.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:45 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

I would recommend a t66 unless you plan on building it past 550hp. I would say keep the stock internals/pistons/rods/crank/block unless you want to go above the 500hp mark & i'd try to keep max rpm under 6000rpm for durability.
Cam choice I would make after you've decided the turbo, smaller turbo's don't work aswell with overlap due to pressure in the exhaust manifold being higher than pressure in the intake at higher rpm, so stock cams & most n/a cams work better with turbo's a little on the larger size.

So my personal opinion, if you're staying below 500hp or around 500 then keep the stock block & do heads/cam/intake along with a t66 (if single) & keep the psi to 12psi or lower if above 500 I'd say go with an aftermarket block/rods/pistons (with around 8 - 8.5:1 cr) & a t70.
I personally don't like building single kits for twin bank engines, but they are cheaper if you're buying a new turbo(s).
Old 09-29-2008, 11:51 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

if you're going 500+hp

just expect 10k+ before you have a fully operation turbo stang that hooks and runs properly.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:02 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Why do you have to spend $10k for a good running turbo stang that hooks? You should meet a couple of my friends. I will say you're right for most people... I have alot of friends with mustangs that have spent $10-40k in mods, but I also have a few friends that have daily drivers that would stomp some of those guys with under $6k into their car. If you're smart about what you do then yes, it will probably cost you $10k easily. If you know what you're doing then you wont come near $10k to get a reliable 500+hp car with a decent suspension. Not knowing what you're doing & going out buying brand new parts will cost you tons.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:10 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by FoxGT
Why do you have to spend $10k for a good running turbo stang that hooks? You should meet a couple of my friends. I will say you're right for most people... I have alot of friends with mustangs that have spent $10-40k in mods, but I also have a few friends that have daily drivers that would stomp some of those guys with under $6k into their car. If you're smart about what you do then yes, it will probably cost you $10k easily. If you know what you're doing then you wont come near $10k to get a reliable 500+hp car with a decent suspension. Not knowing what you're doing & going out buying brand new parts will cost you tons.
not to dis the OP but how many people on this forum can you say would honestly be able to do what you are talking about?

2% maybe 3% if you ask me.

Quick Reply: New here...possibly seeking turbo build