5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Decent Suspension Kits For 90' 5.0 - looking for input and advice -

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 03:35 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

im half way there, someday im going manual steering, skinnies up front, battery is already in back and a/c is gone(although i might bring it back) and tube k member coming up this winter.

although im doing mine different. i like my set up and ihavent been really super impressed by coil over yet so i'm getting tube a arms with perches so i can still run my springs and shock...plus save some money.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
word of advice...once you get everything out of the engine. try to get as much done as possible, especially since it sounds like its not a DD, try to get all your finish work in so you dont have to tear everything apart again later.
Yea, well i dont really need a dd. I am 18 w/ a 1990 5.0L because i worked my *** off as a kid, and continue to in university now.

But the cars is solid, which is why i bought it. No rust, and i got a good deal on it. Stock except for exhaust.

It has ~ 227k KM's on it and when that day comes ( hopefully not soon, knock on wood ) when it goes belly up - i am pumped. Complete rebuild ahha.

Its actually getting painted in 2 weeks.

I am just looking for some projects to do with it in the spring. I dont want to even start with the motor, not worth it.

But thanks guys i learnt alot!
Old 10-06-2008, 03:59 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

smartest thing you can do is get a good base and then get into engine work later. you reap the benefits 10 fold with a proper suspension set up.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

How much welding will be involved? I am lookng at this ste here: http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/t_suspension.htm#Rear

And to go from the first pic to the second looks like a mess.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:01 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

how much welding required for what? to install control arms and a sway bar? none. BTW, I didnt really check it out too good but if they were trying to sell something dont do it. I seen something about it including quad shocks w a kit? you can remove the quad shocks once you do the rear control arms and having them removed will allow you to run a wider tire.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:25 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

sub frame connectors dont require much welding. if you get full lengths you have to weld on the TQ box adapter plate. weld up the tabs that are already welded to the connector itself. and then you have to weld the tail part of the subframe connector to the TQ box plate. its nothin at all. maybe 15 minutes each side.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
sub frame connectors dont require much welding. if you get full lengths you have to weld on the TQ box adapter plate. weld up the tabs that are already welded to the connector itself. and then you have to weld the tail part of the subframe connector to the TQ box plate. its nothin at all. maybe 15 minutes each side.
Ok but for the upper and lower control arms, is there any welding needed at all or is it just bolt on?

And is this all that's needed to replace the quad shocks? Ie the shocks & dampers correct?

I realize that the fame connectors will need a good weld job.

But i am interested in buying that kit you linked. I am just trying to see the work involved.

I am 2 hours away from my car so i cant really scope it out haha. I will this weekend ( going home for thanksgiving :P )

Thanks guys!
cheers
Old 10-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88BlueGT
how much welding required for what? to install control arms and a sway bar? none. BTW, I didnt really check it out too good but if they were trying to sell something dont do it.

"I seen something about it including quad shocks w a kit? you can remove the quad shocks once you do the rear control arms"

and having them removed will allow you to run a wider tire.
That's what i want to do. Just throw down some upper and lower control arms.

I was going to buy : http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=225

With just that kit how much handling performance will i be looking at ? Straight ( torque / twisting ) and cornering. I was reading it does increase it a bit, but does anyone have some personal experiences?

Thanks guys
Old 10-08-2008, 03:44 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

the biggest improvements you'll see are from the following:

hpm mega bite jr lower control arms (others are ok too, stay away from southside)
subframe connectors (get the ones that have t-bracing and also bolt to the seats)
depending on what else your doing.... 50/50 drag shocks, and dump off the sway bars you'll see big 60' gains, after that bag the right rear spring and run about 8 psi in it
Old 10-08-2008, 03:50 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

upper and lower control arms require no welding, just pop the bolts out, replace the arms, pop the bolts back in. pretty simple.

once control arms are gone ditch the quad shocks into the trash can!

i run those in my car now but i replaced all of my suspension at the same time....so to say which was the best for handeling ect...im not sure. but you will notice a drastic increase in traction/handling

Quick Reply: Decent Suspension Kits For 90' 5.0 - looking for input and advice -