5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Off Road x or h pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 07:22 AM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

Default Off Road x or h pipe?

My 89lx is being built while i'm overseas. Before it started i had a Pypes o/r xpipe and Mac catback. The new engine has a set of BBK ceramic shortys on it. My builder asked me if i minded ditching the Pypes x pipe. It never did seem to fit right (i guess 3 different manufacturer's exhaust parts making up one system is the cause) and looks like sh** after only a few hundred miles.

My question is, should i go with a new BBK Xpipe or Hpipe? I've read that the x makes a tad bit more power. Honestly, how much more could it make...really? Others say that if there is a difference in power it is marginal and not noticeable at all. Others say that the big differece and ONLY difference is the sound. The H being the deaper throatier of the two. The x being more raspy.

I have a dynatech catted x pipe with LT headers on my 06 GT with a midmuffler system and love the way it sounds. At one time i had a Pypes o/r x pipe on that car too.

I have not owned so have no experience with an aftermarket h pipe. Has anyone switched from one to the other? What were the differences, other than sound, that you noticed, if any? If it is just the sound and sound alone....i'll go with the h on this car.

thanx
Old 10-06-2008, 09:32 AM
mustangmike33
2nd Gear Member

im my experience i had a set of flowtech LT's on my car and an o/r h-pipe and a set of flowmaster mufflers on my car. it was loud but i wanted something different. i took my car to a local welder shop and the guy custom made me an x-pipe and i threw a set of V-Force mufflers onto it. not only did it sound ten times better but i felt an enormous amount of torque under my pedal. horsepower isnt the best gain from an x-pipe, but torque on the other hand is a huge gain. hope you make a good decision. good luck. but id stick with the x-pipe.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Fox body = H-pipe IMO
Old 10-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Albizo66
4th Gear Member

i LOVE my x pipe on my 5.0....the notch will be getting bassani o/r x and slp lm1...

it ALL comes down to your sound preference...some swear by h's, others swear by x's..its all up to you and what you want it to sound like...from my experience though, the x pipe is louder, and screams more under load
Old 10-06-2008, 11:41 AM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

Personally I say H pipe, but seeing as how there is one of these threads almost daily, All you can do is go on youtube and search both and see what you like.

I think H pipes sound better on 5.0s, 4.6s, or any other V8 at that, but thats just me
Old 10-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Milton
3rd Gear Member

i prefer x but id go into the exhaust clip thread or youtube and pick what you like the best. like mufflers its all preference
Old 10-06-2008, 12:18 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Go into the stickies, there is an exhaust thread with tons of clips of peoples cars. Personally, I dont believe there is a power difference that you can feel :/ Ive seen dyno's and ppl may pick up a hp or 2 depending on each applications (X doesnt ALWAYS make the most power). I also like the tons that H pipes sound, they have that real muscle sound to them IMO. But thats only MY opinion, check out the exhaust thread and choose for yourself. Dont decide on power..... its not worth it.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:29 PM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

So it IS mostly a matter of sound preference for the most part then. I have a Mac True Fit cat back system with their Flow Path mufflers (which are straight through in design). I love the sound of them compared the Flowmasters that were on the car when i bought it.

I am REALLY leaning towards an hpipe. I think it will sound really good with the headers and Macs!!! =)
Old 10-06-2008, 12:34 PM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

Guys i would love to hear all of the thousands of clips that are out there. However, most of those media share sites are blocked here in Iraq. All i can do is go off of recollection of just about every mean sounding 5.0 i heard when i was growing up. I don't think xpipes were that popular in the 80's so i assume that's what the majority of them had back then.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:42 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

Yeah this may help

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/240336-exhaust-clip-description-thread.html

Quick Reply: Off Road x or h pipe?