5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Looking For Input on Front and Rear Spring and Shock/Strut Package - inputs welcome

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:51 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Default Looking For Input on Front and Rear Spring and Shock/Strut Package - inputs welcome

I am lookng to get a decent kit insluding springs and struts/shocks for my 1990 5.0L mustang.

Here is an example : http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st..._image&pID=947

That kits running $660. And thats pretty much my limit.

If you have any input on other kits, or what route i should take, feel free to reply.

How it began.
So after a long like 4 pages of awesome feedback in a thread on suspension, i have decided to repalce my upper and lower control arms in the rear, and replace the struts and spring too.

Originally i wanted to replace my front suspension. But i do not have the cash to do a complete over haul. So i want to just do the basics all around. And completely finish the rear.

Info: 5.0L, 5 speed. Pretty much stock, nothing to big done to it.

I am looking to do the suspension in the spring. Its a DD street care. Mainly cornering rather than stright line.

Thanks for your time!
Old 10-13-2008, 12:27 AM
Boostfiend
1st Gear Member

I have an Eibach pro kit in my Notch along with KYB gas-a-just shocks and struts, I also have a full Energy suspension bushing kit. HUGE improvement over the stock handling. The bushings make the most difference IMO. The way my '91 handles in comparison to my old '92 with stock suspension is night and day.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

H&R supersport springs I have heard, are a much more quality spring than Eibach, and Konis, Tockicos or the like make good shocks/struts...

personally I will be going with H&R supersports and either Tockico Blues or Tockico Illumina 5-way adjustable shocks/struts on my vert... just gonna save up the green for them.... kinda hard when I am in school etc etc...
Old 10-13-2008, 11:26 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

summit has premade packages for right around your price range with brand name products. comes with CC plates too which are nice if you're into the road racing. adj for excelent cornering.
this kit comes with ford C springs which are lower and stiffer than stock, probably what you're looking for. plus CC plates for easy cornering adj. + adj. shocks n struts. IIRC its about 21% off the sticker price of everything individually.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

HR springs have really high spring rates(IIRC someone on here quoted them around 800lb spring rate or somethin crazy like that) so you're lookin at a super stiff ride. maybe around a 375ish spring rate would be more what you're lookin for with adj, shocks that way if you have a bit of under or over steering you can easily compinsate with a turn of a ****.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:58 AM
blk40th
4th Gear Member

damn thats a good azz deal from summit. i just bought tokico hp series for $230 shipped. they are very nice. i had them on my 04 with bbk springs and it handled great.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:05 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

yea you're telling me. i called the rep to have them switch those springs out to the eibach drag springs. they still gave me 21% off for the package deal and knocked an additional 35% off on just the springs. i got it all for under 700 including the shipping.

it should have ran me 770 because the eibach drag springs are 100 bucks more than the springs that come in the kit.

I <3 Summit
Old 10-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the input, that is an impressive kit actually!

My suspension is so loud ( just took it for a good drive today finally, head back to school in a few hours, wont see it for months). I need to replace all the bushings up front.

But rather then having my car jacked up for a month, and ony replacing the bushings, id rather have some noticeable improvment.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:16 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

if your bolt come out fairly easy you're looking at maybe an hour to replace all of the rear suspension pieces and 2 hours for the front for newbs.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:34 AM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
if your bolt come out fairly easy you're looking at maybe an hour to replace all of the rear suspension pieces and 2 hours for the front for newbs.
heyy not bad lol.

If i do the rear end i think i am going to drop the rear end? PAint it up, then put it back.

With 228k KM's do you think id need to rebuild the rear end?

Checked the oil almost a year ago it it was looking fine.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:01 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

thats up to you. i did. its out so why the hell not? if you do make sure you check your axels for excessive wear.

Quick Reply: Looking For Input on Front and Rear Spring and Shock/Strut Package - inputs welcome