5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

hanging idle....

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 11:32 PM
calinotch
1st Gear Member

Default hanging idle....

i recently put my exhaust throttle body cai and everything back on and my idle hangs up at like 1500-2000 when rolling into a stop. it seems like its idling to high. i havent set the TPS sensor on it yet but would that cause it idle higher than normal?
Old 10-20-2008, 04:00 PM
calinotch
1st Gear Member

bumpskies
Old 11-21-2008, 12:16 PM
stickit

Im having the same exact issue with my 89. Have you solved the problem with the hangin idle? This is really buggin me.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:34 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Why was it off the car? Have you checked to see the linkage isn't binding and the mechanical stop is adjusted properly?
Old 11-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PRO50SC
Why was it off the car? Have you checked to see the linkage isn't binding and the mechanical stop is adjusted properly?
Took the words right out of my mouth, lol
Old 11-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by calinotch
i recently put my exhaust throttle body cai and everything back on and my idle hangs up at like 1500-2000 when rolling into a stop. it seems like its idling to high. i havent set the TPS sensor on it yet but would that cause it idle higher than normal?
Please incude more information. Why the swap back to stock? Did you replace the T-body gasket? Was this the reason you did the swap? Was it doing it before the swap? You got us in the dark here brother, lol
Old 11-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

dirty IAC?
Old 11-21-2008, 03:50 PM
stickit

Calinotch, please dont think Im stealin your thread. As for my car, I bought it with a BBK throttle body and cold air intake. The aluminum plenum was removed and painted a goofy color. I tested for vac leaks, cleaned the mass air flow and couldnt find anything. There is a new IAC on there. I did notice that there is a little brass like pivot ball for the throttle linkage to attach to is sloppy. Looks like the factory rivot is comming loose on that ball. I can remove the trottle body and replace that ball unit. I did not know anything else is adjustable.

See it does not happen when I first start the car. Most of the time its at operating temp. Drives fine and when I press in the clutch, The idle sits between 1500-2000 RPM. If im stopped in neutral for about 1-2 minutes, it sometimes slowly comes back to normal. When I got the car, the guy gave me the aluminum spacer that goes between the IAC and the mounting base. This has allen screw to adjust something? 1 adjuster was rounded out and inop so I got the car without it on the engine.....what do ya think
Old 11-21-2008, 03:53 PM
calinotch
1st Gear Member

cleaned out iac. i had everything off because i needed it stock for the california smog *****. but i swapped all the the everything back to how i normally run it, and the idle was hanging at 2gs when you rolled to a stop. It would drop back down to normal after about 5 seconds but its just hanging up at stops and between shifts.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:56 PM
calinotch
1st Gear Member

nah ur not stealing it man. i was having the problem but its seemed to die down as ive messed with the car more, but i couldnt really tell you definately whats helped me out.

Quick Reply: hanging idle....