5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Looking for good literature..

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:05 AM
SUP3RSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Default Looking for good literature..

For anyone who had rebuilt a small block ford, or built one from scratch; which book did you use?

Im looking for the best book out there with detailed interactions, pictures torquing specs etc.

I put this in tech because i feel the ppl with the best knowledge on this are going to be the ppl who have done it..i.e ppl in the tech section lol
Old 10-22-2008, 12:14 AM
93StreetFox
2nd Gear Member

Rather than books i use this site. People can explain things to you in english where it is easy to understand. But if i were to need a book it would be a Chiltons.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:38 AM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

chiltons suck

i have many books from cartech awesome books tons of info and lots of pics, search for cartech books and u should find lots of them for chevy,ford and dodge.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:41 AM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

street fox where from washington are u from?
Old 10-22-2008, 12:51 AM
SUP3RSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 93StreetFox
Rather than books i use this site. People can explain things to you in english where it is easy to understand. But if i were to need a book it would be a Chiltons.
chiltons and hanes manuals are to basic.. i want in depth.. no questions left unanswered type of stuff. iv seen what some refer to as the "5.0 bible" that book is bad ***. has almost every piece of information about your year fox body in it.. but it only helps so much.

as a first time engine builder i need all the help i can get.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:57 AM
glaranotch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SUP3RSTANG
chiltons and hanes manuals are to basic.. i want in depth.. no questions left unanswered type of stuff. iv seen what some refer to as the "5.0 bible" that book is bad ***. has almost every piece of information about your year fox body in it.. but it only helps so much.

as a first time engine builder i need all the help i can get.
i want to know what you are talkin about, so i can goto borders and buy it.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:03 AM
SUP3RSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by glaranotch
i want to know what you are talkin about, so i can goto borders and buy it.
"The Official Ford Mustang 5.0 Technical Reference & Performance Handbook"

but if anyone knows of a book that will guide me through my build i would greatly appreciate it. im starting off with a bare block here fellas, i will be building the bottom end all the way up.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:06 AM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

Ask questions, to only experienced people who have built atleast a dozen small blocks. In actuality there is not a whole lot going on downstairs, its very simple. The quality of the machine work is way more important than the nuts and bolts. If the machine work is off and you can't accurately measure in thousandths and ten thousandths, your little handbook is better off used to start a camp fire.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:10 AM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

like im saying look up the cartech books i have a few and they are very helpful and tons of info, do's and donts and part numbers and so on.

and yes the 5.0 bible is nice i have that book also.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:10 AM
SUP3RSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by woodsy
Ask questions, to only experienced people who have built atleast a dozen small blocks. In actuality there is not a whole lot going on downstairs, its very simple. The quality of the machine work is way more important than the nuts and bolts. If the machine work is off and you can't accurately measure in thousandths and ten thousandths, your little handbook is better off used to start a camp fire.
im not worried about machine work, i have 2 of the better know machine shops in texas within a 50 mile radius of me

Quick Reply: Looking for good literature..