5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

glowing red headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 10:54 AM
forcefeed
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by crusin92red5.0
so i finished re installing head gaskets and now my headers are glowing red. it also got hot really fast(normal temp) and as soon as i turned off the car and stepped out i heard the coolant trickling somewhere. i noticed that the radiator cap was not hot at all. what does glowing red headers mean. early detonation? if so how do i solve this problem. thanks
how about plugged exhuast, does this car have cats??
Old 10-24-2008, 12:58 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
Its your timing. It will be right with the gun but you are still a tooth off. I fought forever with this issue to come and find out that my balancer had spun so when I thought the thing read 0 it was really at like 30. Pull out the dizzy and back it off a tooth. Basicly mark the dizzy as it sits, pull it out and then stab it again to get the rotor one tooth back (clockwise) and try it again. Or just go thru the whole restting the timing like you are supposed to and see what happens.
the sad thing is a read the write up on how to stab the distrubutor a thousands times. decided to do it the correct way after i had the stripped spark plug issue.. it lined up perfectly with the line i drew on the inside distributor. now i can't get the damn thing to hit that line. i'm like literally centimeters from it on the right of the line. i stabbed it atleast 20-30 times.

Mjr how exactly to i bleed the coolant? i really can't remember and never really had an air pocket

94reddevil- i intially set it at 39 and haven't checked it again. but i will

Forcefeed- no i do not have cats
Old 10-24-2008, 03:14 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by crusin92red5.0
the sad thing is a read the write up on how to stab the distrubutor a thousands times. decided to do it the correct way after i had the stripped spark plug issue.. it lined up perfectly with the line i drew on the inside distributor. now i can't get the damn thing to hit that line. i'm like literally centimeters from it on the right of the line. i stabbed it atleast 20-30 times.

Mjr how exactly to i bleed the coolant? i really can't remember and never really had an air pocket

94reddevil- i intially set it at 39 and haven't checked it again. but i will

Forcefeed- no i do not have cats
You set your timing at 39? I hope that is the full advance timing you are talking about.

To bleed the coolant just fill it up and let it set. Then after the level drops fill it up more. Do this multiple times. Sometimes it works better if you jack up the front of the car. After the level stops dropping start it up and let it run (after you get the timing fixed) then check it again once its cool enough to pop the cap again.
With the dizzy remember that the oil pump shaft slides into the bottom of it so it may not be lined up completly right and causing a little problem but shouldn't be that big of a deal. Just keep trying on the stabbing. Remember that the rotor will turn counter clockwise when the dizzy drops all the way down. So when you go to first set it in don't line up the rotor with the mark, put it to the right of it then set it in.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:41 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

i left my coolant sensor unplugged filledit up and then more after it burped then installed sensor, ran the car and topped it off and never had heating problems.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:57 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
You set your timing at 39? I hope that is the full advance timing you are talking about.

With the dizzy remember that the oil pump shaft slides into the bottom of it so it may not be lined up completly right and causing a little problem but shouldn't be that big of a deal. Just keep trying on the stabbing. Remember that the rotor will turn counter clockwise when the dizzy drops all the way down. So when you go to first set it in don't line up the rotor with the mark, put it to the right of it then set it in.
i was talking about the fuel pressure.

What, are you sure? cuz when i drop my dizzy all the way down it moves clockwise so i have to set it to the left of the line
Old 10-24-2008, 04:59 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtmustang
i left my coolant sensor unplugged filledit up and then more after it burped then installed sensor, ran the car and topped it off and never had heating problems.

thats a pretty good idea. so you pour the coolant through the cool sensor. than ran it, then it burped up, then put sensor back on and re filled? right
Old 10-24-2008, 05:59 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default Update with my car

so i just went out and advanced the timing. i could only go as far as 12 maybe 13 and then the dizzy hit something and would let me turn it any more. then i put the spout back in

coolant seems to be coming out the upper hose now as it did get hot. i didn't have to add much maybe a third of a gallon.

i tryed to reset the idle, pulled the connector turned on the car. it ran real high and as soon as i got the right allen wrench to adjust it it droped down to 750.

then i checked the tps. and is set to .94 with the key turned on.

started the car and it idled at 1200-1300 for ever and never really came back down. i am going to wait til dark to se if the headers glow. anybody know what i could have done wrong and why my idle is so high?
Old 10-24-2008, 09:56 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

still glowing red and idling at 1700 rpms.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:03 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

turn the heater on and make sure the heat is hot= sure way to know when system is bled out....and if trying to advance dizzy and you only got 12 out of it before it hit something= you are a tooth or two off, you'll need to restab it and sometimes when tryinng to get the dizzy in the right spot , you may need to have a 1/4 deep well 1/4 drive socket and extention on hand to rotate the oil pump driveshaft into the right spot so the dizzy will drop down in once timing is set properly, you'll need to go through the base idle reset procedure
Old 10-24-2008, 10:10 PM
glaranotch
2nd Gear Member

what kind of octane are you using? if its 87 you need to bump up the octane. maybe because your using to big of a fuel pump? also you need to check your spark plugs and make sure they are gapped right especially in cylinder 5 and 7.
Headers glow red for only one reason, there’s fuel burning inside. The two main reasons are a rich mixture and late ignition timing - which doesn’t give the fuel enough time to burn inside the combustion chamber. Test it for yourself, let your engine idle and crank the ignition timing back to the point where it barely runs, then get out the marshmallows.

Quick Reply: glowing red headers