5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Now whats left to replace?? (update)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 12:00 AM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

Default Now whats left to replace?? (update)

ORIGINAL THREAD ---------- : "my first rebuild - everything's gone smoothly i started it a couple times now - at this point when i try to start it i only get like one bump from my starter im getting a voltage drop somewhere? im not sure but i'm trying a process of elimination and im stuck now --- i've replaced battery (brand new) solenoid (brand new) and a just got my starter testd at autozone and it worked fine there...I've sanded down every positive/negative connection for a good connection...i just don't know what else to replace in a mustang starting system.. i have 2 ignition coil's one msd an other stock um i got a used distributer but shouldn't have anything to do with my starter...?? any ideas?? i must have a short somewhere? but what would draw so much power that i couldn't get more than a bump from my starter?? if i turn my key (w/ clutch down) to start an say hold the key down, instead of my starter trying over an over it just does the one bump and after a few seconds my engine to body ground wire gets hot & starts smoking I've tried moving my engine to body ground all over the place an even tried using to grounds but nothing! right now i'm using stock engine to body ground wire in it's stock place boltd down to upper intake....i really appreciate the help and thanks for your time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" ---------------------UPDATEDED--------------------- I bought new battery cables (positive and negative) i grounded battery to head on engine all grounds are tight i had a friend say i should replace my starter but if it works at autozone on their tester why wouldn't it work in my car?? i guess ima go buy a new starter an ima be pissed if it's not the problem :-) could timing throw off my starter in anyway? i appreciate all the input this sites awesome
Old 10-26-2008, 01:42 AM
glaranotch
2nd Gear Member

i was going to say, you replaced everything you didnt need to replace, maybe it is the starter? yees the distributor has to do with ignition.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:13 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

have you tried rotating the motor over by hand?? = put a 15/16 socket on the crank bolt and see if it rotates freely??
Old 10-26-2008, 11:49 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Your starter could work fine when it isn't trying to turn the motor over and then when it has to move something it might not have enough torque left to do so.

Turn on your headlights (at night or in a dark area perferably so you can see them lit) and try starting it and see if the lights dim really bad or go off completly. If they do it seems that it is an electrical issue that is on your hands and not the parts. You may have a short in your ignition switch in the steering column.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:01 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

So looks like ima go buy a new starter - i checked my ignition on steering coloumn and everything seems aight - and i have turned the engine over by hand numerous timesso that shouldn't be an issue no water in my cylinders or nothin....but wtf could this be! bah it's gott a be my starter is just old an worn out? it workd great at autozone's tester but maybe ur right an when it goes to move sometihng there's just no torque left..(?) i duno but imma be super mad i f it's not the starter cause i already got super pissed that it wasnt the wires and all that other shtuff i replaced that wasn't the problem!!! aaaaahhhh stupid BS!
Old 10-26-2008, 05:31 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Well at least if it is you know its your problem and you have done a major tune up lol!