5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How do I troubleshoot electrical issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 03:25 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

Default How do I troubleshoot electrical issues?

So last night I was driving my car (first time in about 3 weeks). And while I was driving the AC blower kicked out, then (while in traffic) I noticed in the reflection of the car in front of me that only one of my headlights was on. At the next stop light I noticed that both of them were on but as I rev'd one went out. Then while driving I suddenly realized the interior dome light was on but very dim. Suddenly the AC blow kicked back in and the dome light went out.

By the time I got home, the AC blow was out again, still only had one light and only one of the fog lights is coming on. I test the voltage to the fog lights and one is getting the full 11-12V and the other is only getting 6V.

All the fuses are fine.

Where do I begin with this. I hate electrical issues.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:09 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

could have a bad multi function switch or headlight switch, you'll need a wiring diagram and back prob that circuit until you find where the voltage drop is, most likely across a switch or connector or at a ground point
Old 11-03-2008, 12:18 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bbbngowc
So last night I was driving my car (first time in about 3 weeks). And while I was driving the AC blower kicked out, then (while in traffic) I noticed in the reflection of the car in front of me that only one of my headlights was on. At the next stop light I noticed that both of them were on but as I rev'd one went out. Then while driving I suddenly realized the interior dome light was on but very dim. Suddenly the AC blow kicked back in and the dome light went out.

By the time I got home, the AC blow was out again, still only had one light and only one of the fog lights is coming on. I test the voltage to the fog lights and one is getting the full 11-12V and the other is only getting 6V.

All the fuses are fine.

Where do I begin with this. I hate electrical issues.

The reason the car headlight was kicking in and out was because the plastic clip for the wire connector broke and was shaking the connection. One tie wrap and problem solved.

The reason the dome light was coming on was because the hatch wasn't closed properly. Slammed that shut and problem solved.

Fog light now isn't getting voltage to either light. I'm going to re-wire it so it comes one without the headlight anyway, so I'll just by-pass the problem for now.

Any help with the ac blower?

Thanks for responding.