5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

question for my fellow techs

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 01:37 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default question for my fellow techs

my fathers truck(99 durango 5.9) is having an issue where it wont reach operating temp, therefore he barely has any heat in the truck. i just put a new thermostat and still same problem. last thing left to replace would be the fan clutch, but i dont want to start part swapping without a forsure answer. the clutch does have a loud growl to it under 1500 rpm. any help?
Old 11-04-2008, 01:48 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

With the engine off, cold and hot, what does the tension on the fan clutch feel like while spinning it by hand? If you put cardboard in front of the radiator, will it heat up? If it does, I'd def be looking at the fan clutch.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:07 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

trucks hot right now, clutch seems to have normal tension on it. spun a blade and it rotated about 3/8 of the way before stopping.

one thing i noticed that struck me as odd, both hoses are hot as they should be, but the rad cap is cold.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:17 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

OK, so both hoses are hot and still no heat? Are the heater hoses hot?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:27 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Are you sure it's not reaching operating temp? Is that something you're visually seeing on a gauge or are you just thinking that because of the "no heat" issue? If it's simply because there is no heat, don't overlook the heater core itself.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:41 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

all the hoses are hot as they should be, the air coming through the vents is mildly warm, but not what it should be. My gauge set confirms the dash gauge that the engine is reaching about 170, and then goes up and down slightly from there 5-10* variations, but never reaching optimal Dodge temperature of 210.

The rad cap is throwing me off, I've never seen one that didn't get hot, at all. The hoses are physically hot but at the same time the cap is cold. Maybe an issue with the cap causing insufficient system pressure?

Last edited by mattdel; 11-04-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:29 PM
bagellord

Are you sure the temp gauge isn't getting stuck and that there is enough coolant in the radiator? (Yes I know low coolant = hot, but you just never know). If it's not that, it could very well be the fan or maybe some sensors are messed up.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:37 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

If the heater hoses are hot, you should have heat. I would look to a clogged core or a blend door problem.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:26 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

hook a scan tool up to it and see what the operating temp is based on the ect temp, I'd use a infared ray gun and measure inlet and outlet temp of heater core, if it is normal then if you have a scan tool that has capability to go into the BCM = BODY CONTROL MODULE , then you can see if there are any codes for the AIRCO system....sometimes there will be bidirectional function for the blend doors or at least a data PID that'll let you know what the blend door counts are so you can verify the position, ,,,at least that's to say that the blend doors are electronically controlled
Old 11-04-2008, 09:29 PM
bagellord

Originally Posted by mjr46
hook a scan tool up to it and see what the operating temp is based on the ect temp, I'd use a infared ray gun and measure inlet and outlet temp of heater core, if it is normal then if you have a scan tool that has capability to go into the BCM = BODY CONTROL MODULE , then you can see if there are any codes for the AIRCO system....sometimes there will be bidirectional function for the blend doors or at least a data PID that'll let you know what the blend door counts are so you can verify the position, ,,,at least that's to say that the blend doors are electronically controlled
Maybe you can put that in English? Lol.

Quick Reply: question for my fellow techs